mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Brakes glazing badly

Hi. Long time lurker. First time posting here.

So I picked up a 2011 Trek Gary Fisher Wahoo so my girlfriend could get into mountain biking. I read some reviews that said the stock brakes would glaze very badly. The guy I bought it from had supposedly fixed that issue by installing a different rotor on the rear of the bike. It worked fine for about two rides and now the pads are glazing over really bad and making a horrid noise. The calipers are just the stock Promax 907 that came on the bike. Pads are probably the ones that came new with the bike.

What are some good quality pads I could upgrade to so maybe I can solve this problem?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    try TruckerCo.com or look on Ebay.. they have rather inexpensive pads that are pretty decent and SUPER quiet.

lightly sand the rotor and wipe with rubbing alcohol (90% preferably) befoe running the new pads.. should be all good.

you could spend more on pads but honestly I'd save the extra $$$ and start shopping for new brakes,.. the Promax's aren't exactly "high quality" but will serve for now.. you'll really notice a better set of brakes thou.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    For her bike the stock brakes perform okay, just loud. She doesn't ride many trails, mostly just greenways, doubletrack, and fire roads. Easy things like that where we can just stay active. The LBS told me to sand the pads and rotor and clean them with alcohol which silenced them for about three minutes. It was pretty cool of them to try and save me some money but I think some new, quieter pads are in order.

mtbr member
    uh oh the sandpaper myth again, a med flat file for the pads, dbl or triple 000 steel wool for the rotors.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Re: Brakes glazing badly

I'll give that a try when I head to the shop later. Thanks!