Don't ride a Trek anymore
    Sep 2008

Brakes feel a little rough...

The rear Hayes Mag Hydraulic brake on my bike sounds like it is grinding a little when I put pressure on the lever. Not sure if grinding is really the right word, it just sounds... rough. It isnt doing this on the front, so I am a little worried that I might be damaging something.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Check to see if both pistons push out when you squeeze the lever. One could be stuck and the other might be pushing the rotor against the caliper.

ride hard take risks
    Also check caliper alignment, stock pads have a high metal content.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Don't ride a Trek anymore
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Also check caliper alignment, stock pads have a high metal content.
    The pads arent stock, I replaced them with hayes pads that I got from pricepoint.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek7000rider
    The pads arent stock, I replaced them with hayes pads that I got from pricepoint.

Thanks for the replies, guys.
    Hayes pads from PricePoint would be stock OE unless your trying to say you ordered something like a EBC Hayes replacement pad.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    swap front and rear pads and see what you get

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    You stated the lever feels rough, so I don't believe the caliper or pads are the culprits. How old of a brake are we talking here? The older Mags (2002 and earlier I think) used a nylon composite piston in the lever, and these can fatigue over time and eventually start getting stuck in the cartridge of the lever. This could potentially be the issue here, the piston starting to fatigue. If it is the case, you may be able to repalce the master cylinder cartridge kit (everything but the blade and master cylinder body) or you may need to replace the entire lever assembly as some of the early models (pre 2000) aren't compatible with the 2000 and later assemblies.

Who found this all out the hard way? This guy!

Of course, best poss situ is that you just need to take the bugger apart and clean and lube the thing according to the overhaul instructions. But nah, that's too easy
    You are not what you own.