mtbr member

Brakes driving me crazy!

My pads were rubbing my rotors; so much that it was actually binding the wheel. I took the wheel off and inserted the bleed block. I pulled the lever a few times and left the bike overnight.

I went to ride today and my lever pulls all the way back to the bars before the brakes engage. I didn't mess with the fluid or make any other adjustments. The pads are fairly new and the brakes were bled not too long ago at my lbs. What's the deal?

The brakes are Avid Elixir Rs on a Stumpy.

Please help, thanks.
    Last edited by js_paddle07; 10-11-2011 at 07:11 PM.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I have hope for the human race. ~ H.G. Wells

b a n n e d
    Try squeezing the lever a few more times . . . by inserting the bleed block, you pushed the pads all the way out and thus they need to reset to the current pad thickness (which would result in the lever being VERY soft the first few pulls).

If after several pulls, its still pulling back to the bar, then you've got some problem solving to do . . .

Edit: Sorry if this is obvious . . .

mtbr member
    Further to what 007 said, if you are still experiencing squishiness, I would recommend bleeding the brake in question. The key being, when you get to the step where you release the lever after flushing the line and bleeding the caliper, to release the lever very slowly. In effect, you are using the pressure from the syringe to push the lever out. The slower you go, the better.

Edited to add link - Elixir bleed

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I actually did about a 5 mile ride yesterday with the squishy brake. Not the safest idea, but I wanted to see if it would fix itself. It didn't. This brake was bled by the lbs over the summer. I honestly haven't put 30 miles on it since then. Why would it already be failing???
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I have hope for the human race. ~ H.G. Wells

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by js_paddle07 View Post
    Thanks guys. I actually did about a 5 mile ride yesterday with the squishy brake. Not the safest idea, but I wanted to see if it would fix itself. It didn't. This brake was bled by the lbs over the summer. I honestly haven't put 30 miles on it since then. Why would it already be failing???
    Sounds like it wasn't bled properly is all. Take it to a new LBS or do it yourself. Its not terribly hard and there are lots of video's out there on it.

If after a GOOD bleed you are still having issues, then you have a leak somewhere, possibly bad seal, etc. But start with the simple (and probable) culprits first.

Just a flesh wound
    If the LBS did it recently, I'd bet that they did not close the bleed valve all the way, or the reservoir is leaking from not being sealed properly by the same LBS. Now there is not enough fluid in the system, and there is air in the system. Needs to be bled again.

Learn to do it yourself. Very easy and you will pay better attention than anyone else to your bike. Good luck.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.