mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Which Brakes to buy?

I am building up a Santa Cruz Blur 2004 frame with my husband. I am very indecisive about the types of brakes to put on my bike. For some silly reason I like the V brakes, probably because I am just so darn used to them and I know how they work and their minimal maintenance. I have Mechanical disc brakes on my already built mtb but I don't like them very much....especially in the front where they are tight and stop so suddenly. I also do not like the rubbing and adjusting that they constantly seem to need as well as the horrid squealing. I do not ride in wet conditions as the trails here are closed while raining and several days after, so wet tires are never going to be an issue. I am planning to stick to beginner to moderate single track trails.

What would your recommendation for brakes be? I have not bought the fork so I could get a fork with mounting hardware for either disc or V, and the rear of the frame has the option for either also. Thanks

mtbr member
    From a personal standpoint, I ALWAYS prefer disc brakes. That said, it's your bike, and you are the one who needs to be comfortable riding it. After all, if you aren't comfortable on it, how much are you going to ride it? Just because the Establishment and myself like disc brakes doesn't mean you can't use something different if that's what you're comfortable with. Ultimately, that's all that matters.

mtbr member
    Some moderator can delete this post...
    Last edited by Cotharyus; 12-13-2012 at 04:15 AM. Reason: And my first post timed out, so I reposted and so now there's a double post....

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Caloni View Post
    I am building up a Santa Cruz Blur 2004 frame with my husband. I am very indecisive about the types of brakes to put on my bike. For some silly reason I like the V brakes, probably because I am just so darn used to them and I know how they work and their minimal maintenance. I have Mechanical disc brakes on my already built mtb but I don't like them very much....especially in the front where they are tight and stop so suddenly. I also do not like the rubbing and adjusting that they constantly seem to need as well as the horrid squealing. I do not ride in wet conditions as the trails here are closed while raining and several days after, so wet tires are never going to be an issue. I am planning to stick to beginner to moderate single track trails.

What would your recommendation for brakes be? I have not bought the fork so I could get a fork with mounting hardware for either disc or V, and the rear of the frame has the option for either also. Thanks
    My 1997 Schwinn S-10 uses V-brakes (I assume that's what rim brakes are called nowadays) and I always felt the rear tire just wasn't stopping very solidly. The front stopped fairly well.

However, upon purchasing a 2011 Giant Trance X3 with Avid Elixir 3's, I can tell you I would NEVER go back to anything but disc brakes. You squeeze the "trigger" and you KNOW you're gonna stop... either smoothly or flyin' over the handles (front brake), smoothly or skidding the back tire til sundown (rear brake). I love 'em!

That's my $0.02 worth!

Waiting for my Obamabucks
    Better disc brakes have better modulation. Good modulation does NOT have that on/off feeling but more like your car; the harder you press the more brake you get. Mech disc brakes can't get near the modulation of hydraulics due the hydraulic brake design is very similar to your vehicle. I've seen really good deals on older Shimano XT brake setups since Shimano came out with their new brakes this last year.
    2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT2, Fox TALAS Terralogic, Fox RP23 shock, SRAM X0, XTR Trail Brakes, Stans/Chris King Wheelset