mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Which brakes are best

I'm looking into buying some new disk brakes i ride a 6inch all mountain bike i usually ride trail centres and thinking of maybe the odd downhill run so which brakes do you guys think are the best all rounders. Price and weight doesn't matter i just want to know which are the best brakes out there at the moment

banned
    No such thing as "the best". You have to give more info on your needs, terrain, weight, the bike, etc. While most offerings work well, they all have some differences which makes one better than another.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    My bike is a SANTACRUZ NOMAD my weight is around 13.5 stone and i ride all types of terrain, rocky terrain, fast singletrack twisty windy stuff black runs i'd like a brake with good modulation not one thats full on as soon as you touch the lever and i like to do one finger braking i also like a brake that doesnt travel all the way to the bar before it starts working but i suppose thats down to adjustment.Someones told me that the FORMULA THE ONES are the best out there without a doubt but i thought id do some research first to see what you guys think

banned
    What's a "stone" in pounds?

Why not do the UK thing and go for Hope M4's? They modulate and have plenty of power and fade resistance.

mtbr member

Yea, I hear Ya.......

but are they the BEST ????LMAO.

The White Jeff W
    Which brakes are best
    Whatever this guy is using.

http://video.mpora.com/watch/ZBeXR5j3N/
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That guy is riding Juicy brakes

banned
    ...or Codes

offroader
    Dec 2008
    If you're riding all mountain you'd probably want to run 7"-8" rotors in front for better stopping power and some nice hydraulic brakes like the one's Jerk Chicken mentioned. Hope, Avid, Formula, Magura all make great high end brakes (I like Hayes too but they are not in the same league in terms of quality)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    This is all just random opinions, go ride some different brakes and see what you think.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    What's a "stone" in pounds?
    14 pounds, so he is about 190 pounds, or about 85 kilos for our metric friends.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    ...or Codes
    or both - he switched bikes in vid

~Disc~Golf~
    Best brakes?? I like the side-pull calipers that stay askewed all the time with cracked and hardened pads with rusty/loose cables - oh and incompatible brake levers They keep me on my toes!
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Best brakes?? I like the side-pull calipers that stay askewed all the time with cracked and hardened pads with rusty/loose cables - oh and incompatible brake levers They keep me on my toes!
    Speaking of toes, how about breaking with your feet? It's the lightest setup! You might just have fluid leaks on scary downhills...

Seriously though, I'm a big fan of Formula brakes, they work very well and the company has amazing customer service.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Speaking of toes, how about breaking with your feet?...
    I actually had to do that before when I was a kid on my BMX... The brake cable pulled through the pinch-bolt while going down a steep hill...I stuck my foot on the seat-stay and jammed the sole onto the tire - Worked quite well
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    I actually had to do that before when I was a kid on my BMX... The brake cable pulled through the pinch-bolt while going down a steep hill...I stuck my foot on the seat-stay and jammed the sole onto the tire - Worked quite well
    Ever had a bike that brakes by pedaling backwards? (sorry, don't know the english term for it) Ever dropped your chain on such a bike? It happened to me last summer, I was commuting with an old townie bike with a slack chain and obviously, the chain dropped when I was on a descent, going fast and hit a pothole... in traffic. My experience as a kid came right back naturally!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Ever had a bike that brakes by pedaling backwards? (sorry, don't know the english term for it)
    Coaster brakes. They were standard equipment on my Huffy's back in the 70's & 80's. We used the take the hubs apart & remove the shoes to make ghetto freehubs
    No moss...