mtbr member

Brakes for Alps/Megaavalanche

I'm looking to upgrade my brakes for the Megaavalanche and the week in the Alps prior to it.

I have a set of 203mm Juicy Fives which I suspect won' t be up to the job, so they're going, and I'm torn between 203mm Saint M810s, or 203mm Hope V2s to replace them.

Anyone recommend one or the other? The prices are roughly the same, although vented rotors on the Hopes makes them significantly more expensive.

Lopen is sneller....
    Oct 2003
    Personally I would go with the Shimano's. I got myself a set of Saint's recently and the only thing I have against them is that they brake a little too good...I do think I will get used to that...

Hope's are pieces of art but the Mini's on my wives old bike where so finicky that I will never get Hope's again.

I think I need to Upgrade
    I am going to have to go with the Hope V2 here. What you are describing that you are going to be doing is exactly what the V2s are designed for. The rotors have huge braking surfaces to help dissapate the heat, the rotors are floating rotors so when they heat up they stay straight. The brake pads are huge also and carry a lot of material to last long as well as deal with extreme heat also. The calipers aren't just pieces of art, they are huge heat sinks so that as things heat up they pull heat away and help it dissapate from the brake to not just keep the pads from getting scorching hot but also to help keep the brake fluid within its heat range.

I can speak from expirence not with the V2s but with the M6s on how well they work. They are absolutely amazing!! I have had them hot enough to brand a horse with the rotor and it didn't even phase them! Floating rotors stayed true and quiet, brake levers were solid and consistent also.

mtbr member
    Heh. One vote each for the V2s and the Saints. hat's pretty much where I started - worries about hope reliability, whilst still thinking they might be the better choice performance wise.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by honourablegeorge
    Heh. One vote each for the V2s and the Saints. hat's pretty much where I started - worries about hope reliability, whilst still thinking they might be the better choice performance wise.
    Hope reliability? They are just as good as any other manufacturer. The advantage being if there is an issue, you can get it resolved. Shimano can be tough to deal with if at all.

I have V2s on my HIghline, and they are stupid. The braking surface is huge, the levers are as good as they get and bleeding is very simple and impossible to screw up.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

Weekend Warrior
    Any brake will do, i've ridden in the Alps back in the day with V-Brakes and even they worked just fine; I wouldn't recommend it but in the early 90s we just didn't know better. Juicy 5's are more than capable of running down the Alps. I rode often in a place where you got as much as 11000 feet descent.

If you are running Organic Pads, make sure you bring 2 or 3 sets with you as they may wear down quick if they run hot all the time. You may be going through a set every other day. I would recommend something Semi-metallic. People over there are riding long descents all the time and there is nothing to worry about. Even if you would rent a bike don't be surprised to get one BB5s and 160mm rotors front and back. One of my friends told me he did that descent in Hawaii with rented bikes and they also only had 160mm rotors front and back.

You can reach high speeds, especially on Roads, but unless you are going to go down a pass you won't find yourself squeezing the brakes for 45 minutes continuously, and even then the Juicys with 203mm rotors will be more than most local riders use.

Don't waste your money, unless you really want too, your brakes will be doing just fine. Make sure your rotors are still good. Someone told me not to go under 1.2mm thinkness. A new rotor should be 2.0mm thick. If you really want good rotors look at the G3 from Avid, very, very well ventilated to get rid of the heat. And please don't rapidly cool down your rotors when they are hot, they will warp. I've seen it so many times, some kids just think it's cool when the rotors smoke.

Good luck and good trip. The Alps are Mountain Bike Heaven...!

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by honourablegeorge

What worries do you have about Hope reliability? Hopw probably has the best reliability on the market right now. The saints haven't been out that long so they don't have the track record of proof yet. Something else about the Hope brakes is they are completely re-buildable,if your LBS can't get what ever parts you need then you can get them directly from Hope USA, oh and Hope USA always answers the phone (crap now nest time I call them they won't answer).

mtbr member
    If you like to use your brakes (and you will in the Alps, some of those runs I dont think I was ever off the brakes when I was there) then get V2s, I just got the new tech ones with the vented rotor. Some would say its overkill but if you are a big wuss like me then they are amazing. Stupid power and wont ever fade or pump up. Hope are second to none with their CS they even have blokes out in the alps to replace stuff for you ASAP. I once broke my Pro II hub out there and had a new one the next day, fabby.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daleksic
    Any brake will do.!
    I wouldn't say that - I've found myself barrelling down DH runs in Les Gets with two completely faded Hayes Nines, and had to bail at speed because I couldn't stop at all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Shimano parts and spares will be much easier to come by over here with many shops well stocked, and if something goes wrong I doubt you'll take downtime to wait for warranty service from any company.

Dale is right in that your Avids should be fine (fresh fluid helps), but again spare parts stocking usually not as comprehensive as Shimano.

It also doesn't hurt to carry a spare rotor for the extended back-country trips. Many coutries in Europe have no stores open on Sunday, and many close Saturday afternoon.

G.

edit; misspelled rotor
    Last edited by Gringo; 06-04-2009 at 04:45 AM.

mtbr member
    I've got the new M810 Saints, they're awesometacular once you get used to the power. Can't wait to use them in the Alps next month.

Weekend Warrior
    Also, if you are in Austria (where I'm from), don't expect stores to be open after 5 or 6 p.m. even during the week. Over there they treasure their off-time. Avid stuff is easy to find, Shimano however is more popular, you shouldn't have problems though.

As mentioned above there are many, many great setups, but, like also Gringo mentioned, new fluid (I'm not sure what's the best in Hydro setups) and I would recommend G3 rotors for ventilation and you should be fine. No need to setup a new rig. And get a set of pads and rotors. Look here, it seems the Ceramic might be the way to go:

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Internat...ompounds.html_

Just for example. My buddy has a similar bike setup as I do with BB7 brakes 185mm front 160mm rear (he weighs 30lbs more than i do). However he upgraded to G3 rotors and I still have the cheap Roundagons. When we do the Urban Downhills, and we do reach high speeds and ride the brakes a lot, mine are too hot to touch and start to experience fade after a while, his with G3 rotors are warm, but not untouchable like mine, and he hasn't experienced fade yet. The air through the rotor and quality matters a lot. Just like in a car.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyquist
    I've got the new M810 Saints, they're awesometacular once you get used to the power. Can't wait to use them in the Alps next month.

Can't wait to use mine, once they arrive.

Weekend Warrior
    Let me know what you are going to do with your Juicys!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    How much do you weigh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by General Hickey
    How much do you weigh?
    Plenty more than I'd like. Enough to be hard on brakes....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daleksic
    Let me know what you are going to do with your Juicys!
    They're up for sale...will probably sell them to someone local though, EBay otherwise.