mtbr member
    Apr 2005

New question here. Which brakes for an Adroit?

I'm a hardtail fanatic who used to post here frequently years ago, but got busy raising kids, and forgot my old user name.....

At any rate, just bought a new-in-the-wrap leftover '02 Klein Adroit frame, and I'm in the process of building it up. I currently ride an S-Works M2 with xtr v-brakes....

The Adroit has disc brake bosses on it, but I read somewhere that it is ONLY compatible with Hayes (22mm?) systems.

I have no experience with disc brakes on MTBs, so I'm looking for opinions....love the V-brakes, but I'm a Clyde, and ride wet conditions relatively often....so it would seem discs would be right for me. Does anyone have further knowledge about which systems are/are not compatible with the Adroit frame?

Thanks, and I look forward to being - if not a great contributor - at least a sponge for knowledge around here again....

HTW

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Awesome bike. Any disc brake should work with the appropriate adapter. One like this should be fine:
    Ebay link
    Herro prease

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by HTWoodsman
    I'm a hardtail fanatic who used to post here frequently years ago, but got busy raising kids, and forgot my old user name.....

At any rate, just bought a new-in-the-wrap leftover '02 Klein Adroit frame, and I'm in the process of building it up. I currently ride an S-Works M2 with xtr v-brakes....

The Adroit has disc brake bosses on it, but I read somewhere that it is ONLY compatible with Hayes (22mm?) systems.

I have no experience with disc brakes on MTBs, so I'm looking for opinions....love the V-brakes, but I'm a Clyde, and ride wet conditions relatively often....so it would seem discs would be right for me. Does anyone have further knowledge about which systems are/are not compatible with the Adroit frame?

Thanks, and I look forward to being - if not a great contributor - at least a sponge for knowledge around here again....

HTW

While they do make adapters to convert 22mm to ISO standards be warned that not all brake calipers will fit in there from what i've heard...

read some incompatabilities here
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

mtbr member
    There's a shop In North Vancouver, John Henry the Bicycle Man which has the older original gold Hayes NOS for your Klein. You wouldn't need any adaptor and I know they're blowing them out cheap. Phone # is toll-free 866-986-5534. Website is:
    http://www.johnhenrybikes.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra
    Awesome bike. Any disc brake should work with the appropriate adapter. One like this should be fine:
    Ebay link

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks very much for the replies - great information. The original Hayes may be the way to go. As I understand it after doing a little more research, the Adroit is not compatible with adapters....

Thanks again,

HTW