Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which Brakes???

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Which Brakes???

I've got a budget of $200 for both front and rear. I currently have the Red Clarke Skeletal brakes. So, I think I can keep the rotors? Basically the brakes are weak and the Clarke pads keep disintegrating. One of the pads will have the entire brake surface 'break off' in chunks leaving just the metal backer plate. Has happened three times in less than a year and I only ride like 20 miles a week (XC).

I'm also curious about rotor size? Both of mine now are 160's but I have been doing more aggressive XC and am wondering if going to 180 is worth it (especially since I weigh 240).

I'm looking at Hayes Stroker Trail's from Pricepoint for $130 a set. I like these since my buddy has them and they feel good. I'm also looking at the Magura Louise at $180 a set or the julies at $160 but don't really know that much about Magura.

Any suggestions? Thoughts? Used Shimano? Used SRAM XX or XO?

At a loss here......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    I'm looking at Hayes Stroker Trail's from Pricepoint for $130 a set. I like these since my buddy has them and they feel good. I'm also looking at the Magura Louise at $180 a set or the julies at $160 but don't really know that much about Magura.
    I had a friend who wanted to go for those brakes but decided otherwise. I guess it's a good thing he didn't based on what your experience was. Based on your weight and interest/development in more aggressive riding, chances are you'll like a larger rotor up front and maybe even in the rear but this means you'll need a new adapter to put the caliper in the right spot.

Hayes Stroker aren't a bad brake and are relatively cheap. You can get a used set for probably much cheaper than that. Magura brakes are generally superior to Hayes,use mineral oil instead of DOT fluid, and cost a lot more. I run Marta SL Magnesiums on my xc bike and have had no problems since I bought them in 2009. I can't comment on either the Julies or Louises but any of the brakes you mentioned should get rid of the problems you seem to be having.

The final thing is with regard to rotors. The short answer is you can probably use your current rotors. Certain brake calipers/pads are designed to be used with certain rotors. This has to do with thickness and width of the braking surface. Again, in general the rotors they were designed to work with generally are more powerful than others as well. New rotors are pretty cheap if your current ones don't work out though.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'd probably hunt for a set of Marta SL's too, they are a solid brake system.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    If you're interested in the Hayes Stroker Trail brakes, Pricepoint has them for $65 a set this week.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    If you're interested in the Hayes Stroker Trail brakes, Pricepoint has them for $65 a set this week.

Yeah I saw that. Though I think after more research I'm leaning towards Maguras. Unless someone on here can convince me to get something else. truly I think anything would be an upgrade over the Clarkes.

mtbr member
    Yeah I saw that. Though I think after more research I'm leaning towards Maguras. Unless someone on here can convince me to get something else. truly I think anything would be an upgrade over the Clarkes.
    Maguras would be a great way to go.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

mtbr member
    Shimano SLX can be had for a bit over your $200 budget - Cambria has them for $110 a side.
    They are nearly the same brake as the 2012 XT's that are getting awesome reviews.

Huckin' trails
    Why not go with BB7 ? Add some SD 7 levers, good cables and housing and you get 1 finger braking with the power of those Hayes Stroke, but the simplicity and low maintenance cost of mechanical brake system.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Careful of the Shimano ones, they don't sell spare seals so if you get a leak it's either a warranty job or a brand new calliper! If you're out of warranty then good luck finding an NOS one for reasonable money!

mtbr member
    Loiuse is a rock-solid brake, great power and modulation, I've not done any maintenance on any of my 4 sets. probably a little outside your budget, but there might be some deals, now that the MT series brakes are the new thing.

added bonus, which I totally never would have expected from Magura, but the rotors and adapters are very reasonably priced compared to most other brakes out there - $8 adapters and $20-25 rotors...

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Check out the long thread on Hygia brakes.

I had Hayes Strokers for a short while, and will therefore never buy Hayes again. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    added bonus, which I totally never would have expected from Magura, but the rotors and adapters are very reasonably priced compared to most other brakes out there - $8 adapters and $20-25 rotors...
    That is true. It's actually kind of nice they do it that way.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

mtbr member
    That's about the same as Shimano.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Why not go with BB7 ? Add some SD 7 levers, good cables and housing and you get 1 finger braking with the power of those Hayes Stroke, but the simplicity and low maintenance cost of mechanical brake system.
    basically because the bike came with BB5's and I hated them. It seemed like they needed constant adjustment to maintain the feel and lever throw that I wanted. Maybe I was doing it wrong but I really struggled with getting them right.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Loiuse is a rock-solid brake, great power and modulation, I've not done any maintenance on any of my 4 sets. probably a little outside your budget, but there might be some deals, now that the MT series brakes are the new thing.

I've been looking at Louise brakes. Looks like i can find some good sets within my budget and they seem to be well regarded. As others have mentioned I like how affordable the rotors and pads are.

Huckin' trails
    basically because the bike came with BB5's and I hated them. It seemed like they needed constant adjustment to maintain the feel and lever throw that I wanted. Maybe I was doing it wrong but I really struggled with getting them right.
    BB7 are way better then BB5. I find BB5 not be suited good for anything more then light XC or just road. BB7 are a whole new world.

Check here for the best tutorial on how to setup your BB7 Avid BB7 Disc Brake set up and tuning. | Two Wheel Blogs

I have a front BB7 and a rear Hayes MX2 (both mech). I followed this tutorial and used SD 7 levers and now It feels like hydros. No resistance and a solid firm stop when full pad contact is achieved. But it's your call anyway. Hydro can be good too.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    how about formula brakes? RX1? anyone has them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotzKiss View Post
    how about formula brakes? RX1? anyone has them?
    Formula makes great brakes but they are expensive. I have run The One's and loved them but currently am running Magura and Shimano brakes.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    Formula makes great brakes but they are expensive. I have run The One's and loved them but currently am running Magura and Shimano brakes.
    I feel like you can kind of gauge how good something is by market availability. There are hardly any used Formulas available and very few maguras, yet tons of elixer. I'm sure it also has to do with what is supplied, new, on bikes. But people must be taking them off and buying something else.

mtbr member
    I feel like you can kind of gauge how good something is by market availability. There are hardly any used Formulas available and very few maguras, yet tons of elixer. I'm sure it also has to do with what is supplied, new, on bikes. But people must be taking them off and buying something else.
    That's probably not a bad way of looking at it.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    It's not very easy to find a pair of Maguras within your budget.
    Get it unlocked.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    yep you were doing something wrong
    BB7s are about the easiest to setup and maintain of any brakes out there

with hydros you get sticky pistons, leaking seals, more adjustment issues, howling rotors, etc.
    my point is nothing is maintenance free

you can get the BB7s online for roughly $60 a wheel, thats for everything, rotors, adaptors, calipers, cable and levers
    with the money saved pick up the Park workshop manual and soon youll have the best brakes of all your friends

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by estabro View Post
    It's not very easy to find a pair of Maguras within your budget.
    I found magura louise for $90 a pair at pricepoint so about $180 and the louise BAT can be had for $109 a set or $220 a pair. A bit more than I would have liked but I think it's attainable for a worthy set of brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0 View Post
    yep you were doing something wrong
    BB7s are about the easiest to setup and maintain of any brakes out there

with hydros you get sticky pistons, leaking seals, more adjustment issues, howling rotors, etc.
    my point is nothing is maintenance free

you can get the BB7s online for roughly $60 a wheel, thats for everything, rotors, adaptors, calipers, cable and levers
    with the money saved pick up the Park workshop manual and soon youll have the best brakes of all your friends
    I was able to get them dialed in okay, but then they seemed to need constant adjustment. My shop told me (they did the first two adjustments for free) that it was what needed to be done for mechanical disk brakes. Whereas my Clarkes where perfect for 8 months and then the pads blew apart, then great for another 4 months till again the pad blew apart. As I've gotten better I now I feel they are a bit underpowered for my size and I kind of want to see how much nicer a $200 set feels.

Thanks for the response.

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    I found magura louise for $90 a pair at pricepoint so about $180 and the louise BAT can be had for $109 a set or $220 a pair. A bit more than I would have liked but I think it's attainable for a worthy set of brakes.
    You are right, the Lousie can be easily found for <$200/pair.

I was lucky to have found new Marta's for about $160/ pair... but that was not easy.
    Get it unlocked.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast