Thread: Which Brakes??

mtbr member

Which Brakes??

I am upgrading the Brakes on my bike from the stock Deore brakes and I would like to know which of the following are thought of as being the best....

Shimano Deore XT

Formula RX

Avid Elixir CR

Any opinions on any of these would be great, They will be going on an xc/trail bike. Weight isn't a huge issue.

Thanks Guys!

Ben
    Canada Here I Come.....

Master of Disaster
    My vote is for mineral oil over DOT fluid...and servo wave over non-servo wave...

T.W.O.
    Magura Louise or Shimano XT.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    im in a similar situation. i have used the Formula RX and Elixir CR.

i dont like the elixirs, turkey warble in the front (i have minimized it) the rears howl vibrate my rear triangle and i cant seem to get rid of it.

formula rx is a little finicky, mine made this high pitched tuning fork noise when riding. i did manage to solve that issue but now when i apply the brakes it makes a high pitch squeal, not loud but audible.

im gonna ditch the elixirs and try out the xt when i save up some money.

post a review of the one you end up with will ya.

thanks

Master of Disaster
    Without a single problem, I'm 100% satisfied with my XT brakes (shown in photos above) - especially at $193 for the set, shipped complete with rotors and mounting hardware. Can't beat that with a stick - though, granted, that was an unusual one-time deal.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clones123
    Without a single problem, I'm 100% satisfied with my XT brakes (shown in photos above) - especially at $193 for the set, shipped complete with rotors and mounting hardware. Can't beat that with a stick - though, granted, that was an unusual one-time deal.
    That's a good deal, where at?

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    That's a good deal, where at?
    Shimano M775 brakeset at Wiggle.co.uk
    Shimano M775 brakeset at Wiggle.co.uk

It was through that experience that I discovered that there are numerous e-tailers in the UK with attractive prices who don't appear on US-based price search engines. If you're looking for anything expensive, it can pay to shop the major British online stores.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    i got my set of m775 from cambriabike.com for just over $200 for the set. They have OK discounts on products but every now and then they send me a 20% off coupon which helped me get them for so cheap. They were something like $130 each plus 20% off. The rear hose was a little short at 1200mm though.

blueskycycling.com has them for $134 each with rotors!

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Senor StrongBad
    blueskycycling.com has (XT M775) for $134 each with rotors!
    -OR-

Shimano SLX M665 Disc Brake w/ Adapters & Rotor - $99.98
    http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...ers__Rotor.htm

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've used many different brakesets and have always come back to Shimano. Go XT!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've got the same dilema right now. Ive got a set of juicy 5s that started failing (the lever going all the way to the handlebar) and thinking of upgrading since theyre a couplew of years old. I was looking into elixir 5s but heard those have several issues as well. So now Im looking into either Elixir CR or biting the bullet and jumping all the way up to the new XTRs. Any advice? Oh, I ride a 2010 Anthem which does not see that long of descents anyway, mostly light XC.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Quote Originally Posted by GS833
    I've got the same dilema right now. Ive got a set of juicy 5s that started failing (the lever going all the way to the handlebar) and thinking of upgrading since theyre a couplew of years old. I was looking into elixir 5s but heard those have several issues as well. So now Im looking into either Elixir CR or biting the bullet and jumping all the way up to the new XTRs. Any advice? Oh, I ride a 2010 Anthem which does not see that long of descents anyway, mostly light XC.

Check out the Hygia SLP's. I have a set on my wifes bike and they are awesome. They use Shimano pads and general hardware. You can pick a set up off ebay with stainless steel hose shipped for $220. They are simple and very effective. I do not have them on my bike as I do a lot more aggrssive riding then she does. They sound like they would fit the bill for you to. Super easy to set up. Super light.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    Magura Louise
    +1

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...uct=62255&cat=