Thread: Which Brakes

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Which Brakes

I have a 6inch travel mtb and am thinking of changing the brakes on it.I'm currently running Juicy 7's 203 Front and 185 Rear with the new G2 Clean sweep rotors.In the dry they are superb but they do my head in in the wet with the squeeling.My last brakes were Hope Mono M4's180 Front and Rear,they were nowhere near as powerfull as the 7's but they were a bit quieter in the wet.No point telling me they were'nt set up properly i've tried everything mentioned here to set them up and like i said in the dry fine it's just the wet so come on tell which brake is as powerfull as the 7's and quiet in the wet if there is such a brake

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelin
    I have a 6inch travel mtb and am thinking of changing the brakes on it.I'm currently running Juicy 7's 203 Front and 185 Rear with the new G2 Clean sweep rotors.In the dry they are superb but they do my head in in the wet with the squeeling.My last brakes were Hope Mono M4's180 Front and Rear,they were nowhere near as powerfull as the 7's but they were a bit quieter in the wet.No point telling me they were'nt set up properly i've tried everything mentioned here to set them up and like i said in the dry fine it's just the wet so come on tell which brake is as powerfull as the 7's and quiet in the wet if there is such a brake
    First have you tried different pads? Or could the "chirpy" pre-'07 rotors maybe work quieter in the wet?

mtbr member
    Organic pads are supposed to be quieter in general. Shimano XT / Saint brakes would be powerful but may also squeal a bit in the wet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Which brakes

I had the old poygon rotors first and they were even worse and no i have'nt tried organic pads i thought they were for dry us,so would'nt be as good as sintered in the wet weather

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelin
    I had the old poygon rotors first and they were even worse and no i have'nt tried organic pads i thought they were for dry us,so would'nt be as good as sintered in the wet weather
    Yeah, I'm not sure how organic pads will last in the wet, but like was mentioned, they should/could be quieter, since sintered pads are mostly metal.

mtbr member
    Yes you would have to take into considerations that organic pads would probably wear out faster. And correct me if I am wrong but they may also not be as powerful as sintered or metalic ones.
    You could always try running one of each - have a sintered and organic at each caliper, I know some people do that with Shimano brakes.

ride hard take risks
    Galfer pads are awesome in all conditions.

Formotion Products
    http://www.formot