Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

BrakeForce One, new player in town

Don't know if it already got posted, but overhere in Europe, there's a new player in Braketown, BrakeForce One, German durability with super looks and a low weight of 205 gr ( without discs )...
    Higher brake force due to brakeforce multiplier in the caliper.
    Some pics :

in the box

2 finger brakelever, everything is injection moulded carbonfibre, contactpoint between discs and brakepads can be set on the brakelever. Closed oilsystem without expansion chamber...

disc caliper, anodised aluminium, inserts are injection moulded carbonfibre

possible colours are silver, red, black and orange...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    And how do they work?

AZ
    banned
    And what is a "Brake force multiplier"?

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Well, they look pretty.

I'm fairly sure that carbon fibre can't be injection molded though- I mean, the stuff comes in a woven cloth. It looks more like some kind of plastic (not necessarily a bad thing).

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Magura MT8's have injection moulded carbon fiber parts, so no reason that BrakForce One's parts aren't.

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    its fancy plastic. Calipers look hot.
    Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    And what is a "Brake force multiplier"?
    You see where the hose connects to the caliper... the fitting looks a bit big. I would assume that's a piston pushing on a smaller MC that to create higher pressures on the caliper pistons.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've had the change to test them end they do work and with only one finger required...
    A little explanation, the brake multiplier is a special, patented system where the special valve does its work...

When first pressing the lever, the valve stays closed and the brakepads are moved against the discs...

When making contact with the disc, the valve opens and the brakforce is doubled...( simply put )

U need 5 minutes to get used to the short brakelever, U no longer have irritating noises of the pads rubbing against the discs, since the contact point is adjustable, this makes an easy compensation, if necessary, should the oil expand due to the temperature... but the most demanding situations have been tested and the difference would only be a fraction of a mm in brakepad movement...
    Hope U guys understand what I'm trying to explain...

There is nothing plastic about it, all the non anodised black parts on the brakes ( except the hoses ) are carbonfibre. They use mineral oil. And U should certainly compare the BrakeForce One to the Magura MT8 brakes...
    I should know, I import the stuff into Belgium

AZ
    banned
    Is there a U.S. distributor?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    not to my knowledge, lot's of other distributors have already signed in... even up to Thailand,...
    for those interested, as long as there is no distributor for the US, I could ship overseas...
    First batch is coming in next week...

mtbr member
    is there a review about them? anything to compare too? and what is the cost?

mtbr member
    Serious question, if it's a closed system how does it deal with heat build up on really long downhills (as in 20min + continuous descent). I had a set of closed systems brake way back in the early 2000s and they were hateful things, binding up at high temps.

They'll have convince people they're better than open systems to take off. Although I hope they becausethose things are beautifully made, those carbon moulded levers look great.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc101 View Post
    Magura MT8's have injection moulded carbon fiber parts, so no reason that BrakForce One's parts aren't.
    Again- how can you injection mold CF? It comes in a woven cloth.

The photos look more like injection molded plastic, maybe it has short strands of reinforcing fibres in it but it doesn't look like a pure CF part.

Edit: Just having Googled around for this product, it does appear that it's a CF reinforced plastic. I suspect the OP just had a translation hiccup when doing his writeup.

≈ > ♥
    ^ injection molding of carbon fiber is a popular process. It's basically using a carbon fiber slurry in molds instead of injection molded plastic. Don't be confused just because it doesn't have the visual of a 3K weave...

These brakes look very interesting. I'd love to try a set out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    Again- how can you injection mold CF? It comes in a woven cloth.
    You can get CF as raw fibres and as 'bulk' fibres (think smashed spaghetti) as well, my bet is that they're made of the latter injection moulded with resin.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Prices are stiff, market price of MT8 in EU is around 525-550 EUR
    BFO's are going for +/- 800 EUR a set (discs included) for the wealthy bikers there is even a lighter (or is it the wallet that gets even lighter) tuned version from Tune is going for 900-ish without nothing, no discs no adapter.

Even if they are good, there is something like a brain up there saying too much is simply too much.
    Not for me.

T.W.O.
    For that price it's definitely look cheesy, and 205g without rotor is not that light many current brake at half the price is in that weight range. Hopefully, the street price will be much lower.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Not sure what the issue with prices is (yes they are expensive), they are premium German products, you will pay similar for Acros or Tune parts or any other Made in Germany product Magura's aren't cheap.

When the prototypes came out back in September, the covererage was positive at the time

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    OK, so a caliper with an additional master cylinder piston (that in itself looks like it borrowed an idea from the Prime), and a brake whose bite point will change as the brake heats up and cools down (stated in post #10 in this thread) as it doesn't have a reservoir, and a price that makes Hope look affordable. I'm not normally a negative Ned, but nooooo thanks. Heck, even the original Hopes had at least a manually adjustable reservoir on em. I foresee this going the way the Brembo MTB brake did....
    You are not what you own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc101 View Post
    Not sure what the issue with prices is (yes they are expensive), they are premium German products, you will pay similar for Acros or Tune parts or any other Made in Germany product Magura's aren't cheap.

When the prototypes came out back in September, the covererage was positive at the time
    Does anyone pay SRP for maguras? Or even half? I have 4 sets of Louises, I think I paid $220 for the most expensive set, all bought new.
    I guess euro prices also include the ridiculous VAT.

I don't know... a closed/non reservoir disc... I suppose that's fine, so long as you aren't actually braking for more than a couple seconds at a time. There is probably a reason all the closed discs disappeared from the market a while ago
    Sounds like the target audience is people that like hanging bikes on scales, but don't actually ride. Yeah, sure, there is a forum for them on here.. On the other hand, MT8s weigh about the same (or even a couple grams less claimed) and cost about 1/3. Maybe US street prices will be more reasonable.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Has anyone told Magura that this company has used 90% of their design language ? Is this really legal in germany ? Or is Magura invested in this company ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Magura also sells their injection moulding technology expertise and produce for other parties !!

Have no idea in this case who is producing for BFO but it is a known fact, it is a german company with knowledge in carbon moulding.

On the other hand, Magura is maybe also a buyer/user of other german expertise.

PS : BFO resides <50 km from Magura Injection Moulding Dept

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quick video of the brakes on a bike - Brake Force One - Tune Video - Pinkbike.com

EDIT: actually, there are a few better quality (official) vids on Vimeo as well if you google them.
    Last edited by R+P+K; 12-23-2011 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Added text

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    well, the problem with the heat is not really an issue, due to the special valve it's possible to have a bigger initial gap between brakepads and disc in comparison with other brakes, and thanks to the bigger diameter of the oil channels, the oil displacement due to extreme temperature will only have a very limited brakepad displacement ( test showed only 0.3 mm decrease in brakepad distance in the worst case ) .... and even if the gap is to small and there would be friction due to the temperature, U can easily increase that gap with a fraction to compensate for heat influences...
    there are already test reports of different European magazines, like German " Bike Magazin" , but as up to now not yet in English...

Dirt Huffer
    Anyone have these? I'm looking for opinions on the performance.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast