Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Magura used to publish this info a while ago...

Before their MT series, their slaves were 22mm (marta and louise) and the masters were something like 11mm (depending on model). I can dig up that info later.

Now... some people had fitted Shimano levers to Magura calipers, so they should be in the ballpark.

I don't know about other systems. There may be numbers published here and there.
    Now you really have me thinking hard about giving this a shot. The M985 levers are on sale at Chain Reaction Cycles for something rediculously low, around 58 bucks per side.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    Now you really have me thinking hard about giving this a shot. The M985 levers are on sale at Chain Reaction Cycles for something rediculously low, around 58 bucks per side.
    From Magura's 2007 Catalog...
    (master cylinder dia / number of pistons * dia.)

Marta: 10mm/2*22mm
    Louise: 12mm/2*22mm
    Gustav: 10.5/2*18mm
    Julie: 13mm/2*28mm (low pressure system)
    Check my Site

mtbr member

New North American Distributor for BFO

Greetings Brake Peeps,

Steve here from Exposure Lights USA and IBEX Sports.
    IBEX Sports has become the exclusive importer and distributor for Brake Force One in the North American territory. We officially launched this at interbike 2012. Please feel free to contact us if you want/need some BFO brakes.

IBEX Sports
    PO Box 369
    Rollinsford, NH 03869
    1-800-575-4873
    info@ibexsports.com
    IBEX Sports
    Importer / Distributor for Exposure Lights, U.S.E. and VDO Cycle computers.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm looking forward to giving the BFO's a try when we get a set at the shop.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Just got them, they work great, they need some time to get accostumed to the "different" way the brakes work, tho... stopping power is there in spades, but modulation is higher, and this gives the idea of less crispy braking. This feature is a big plus on technical descents, where you don't want the rear to skid or the front to wash out. Fast turns leave you a bit disconcerted until you learn to brake properly - also remember the first part of the lever movement is for the pad to touch the brake, so no deceleration is obtained.
    Great brakes, IMO....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    How are the brakes doing now that you've had a week or so on them?

JC

Quote Originally Posted by even View Post
    Just got them, they work great, they need some time to get accostumed to the "different" way the brakes work, tho... stopping power is there in spades, but modulation is higher, and this gives the idea of less crispy braking. This feature is a big plus on technical descents, where you don't want the rear to skid or the front to wash out. Fast turns leave you a bit disconcerted until you learn to brake properly - also remember the first part of the lever movement is for the pad to touch the brake, so no deceleration is obtained.
    Great brakes, IMO....

mtbr member
    Holy Crap! $999 for a front and rear with no rotors or adapters!
    EXPOSURELIGHTSUSA.COM

mtbr member
    What does the exposure lights link gotta do with this?

Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    Holy Crap! $999 for a front and rear with no rotors or adapters!
    EXPOSURELIGHTSUSA.COM

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    What does the exposure lights link gotta do with this?
    It shows the brakes and how much they cost
    click on the left side column, no, it is not working anymore.
    use search function, brakes...
    Last edited by doccoraje; 01-17-2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Adding info

Weird huh?
    Just wow. Pass....

Thanks for finding out the price in the US howver!
    And don't do the burrito jump... Francois

mtbr member
    Yeah, that website leaves a lot to be desired. $56 each for rotors, $35 each for adapters, puts you at about $1200 a set, imagine what a replacement lever costs? Full injected molded carbon lever and body which is bound to explode when you crash.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Carbon filled polycarbonate...

Slovakia (Europe)
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    Yeah, that website leaves a lot to be desired. $56 each for rotors, $35 each for adapters, puts you at about $1200 a set, imagine what a replacement lever costs? ...
    According to our saying "If you can afford to have a monkey, you should also have the funds for bananas" (free translation), that's why e.g. Ferrari is not that popular.

mtbr member
    yup exorbitantly priced, sorry but this won't work.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Difficult to keep prices low when brakes are handbuilt in a country where workers are paid more than a bunch of rice a day

FTW Industries Mategua with Brake force One brakes and Kilo fork: a short review

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I didn't pay anywhere near that much for mine, anyone interested should contact the OP Ian.

Calipers are great, closed system and lever design are a fail. Should BFO ever develops an open system lever for these calipers they will dominate.

Until that happens these are boxed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    well, I quite like them...

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    well, I quite like them...
    I'm glad to hear that, please follow up with a long term update.

I do feel these have great potential, for me personally I disliked the constantly changing bite point I experienced with the set I received nor the levers not mounting properly to the bars as mine were not formed to a proper fit.

If you haven't experienced these issues and are satisfied with yours then I am glad for you and left wondering if I got a defective set.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    I didn't pay anywhere near that much for mine, anyone interested should contact the OP Ian.

Calipers are great, closed system and lever design are a fail. Should BFO ever develops an open system lever for these calipers they will dominate.

Until that happens these are boxed.
    Looking at the photos of your brakes from earlier posts in this thread, Jon, you've got the first generation model and BFO have made some vast improvements to the system since then. It's a night and day difference we find.

Anyone looking to buy these brakes in the USA can buy right from our exclusive mail order retailer in the USA, Competitive Cyclist, or they can be purchased through your LBS who would get them from from us directly.

We're happy to answer any questions folks might have about the brakes.

Cheers,
    Steve
    IBEX Sports

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I've got these, are they different from yours, Jon?

FTW Industries Mategua with Brake force One brakes and Kilo fork: a short review

(I just changed the caliper bolts; they were a nightmare to work with)

Steve, funny enough, I even mount a USE suspension post, occasionally

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve@Exposure Lights USA View Post
    Looking at the photos of your brakes from earlier posts in this thread, Jon, you've got the first generation model and BFO have made some vast improvements to the system since then. It's a night and day difference we find.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Would you mind sharing what you know about what changes have been made and if you feel BFO would be willing to work with me to set these right.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve@Exposure Lights USA View Post

Anyone looking to buy these brakes in the USA can buy right from our exclusive mail order retailer in the USA, Competitive Cyclist, or they can be purchased through your LBS who would get them from from us directly.

Cheers,
    Steve
    It might be particularly helpful at this point to comment on exactly what those improvements are.

You know, I certainly applaud ingenuity and creativity, however, BFO clearly has a lot of growing pains to work though in their business model.

People balk at how expensive Hope brakes are, which are HALF of what BFOs cost . . . the major difference is that Hope has a LONG reputation of substantial quality to back up their price-point and have justified the expense.

If the folks at BFO are legitimately interested in remaining in this industry, they better take a very serious look at their business model. Otherwise, my prediction is that BFO will cease to exist within 24 months . . . which lets face it, does NOT bode well for warranty work and long-term product support.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I've got these, are they different from yours, Jon?
    Mine are identical save for being black, not sure what the difference could be outwardly.

mtbr member
    I am happy to share the advancements we know about with you for the 2013 BFO line.

1. They have gone over to a new one piece alloy union nut / olive as seen in Even's pics of his FTW bike. The hose at the lever end is actually pressed onto the barbed end of the union nut.

2. New larger diameter, transparent hoses, which allow for a higher volume of fluid passing through from lever to caliper. It's a low pressure, high volume system with the boost valve in the caliper. Brakes fluid is pushed through the system at a higher volume, with the larger diameter boost valve in the caliper you get an incredibly powerful system requiring less force at the lever and really nice lever 'feedback' and modulation. From having ridden the 1st generation brakes like Jon has since early May 2012, the increased power from these two changes alone was very, very, noticeable.

3. New material at the master cylinder in the lever body which allows for a smoother, more fluid feel of the lever and modulation of the brakes, but more importantly, what was lacking from earlier versions was a nice smooth and reliable feel of the return rate of the lever when you let the brakes go, they snap back into position with a nice positive feel on the lever. The 12 version felt great, but lacked a good return, almost giving the lever a dead feel. They also made some subtle machining changes to the lever pad contact dial/pin to eliminating contact with lever body. The dial and pin is what adjusts the pads closer to the rotor or further away.

Hope this is helpful?

Steve
    IBEX Sports

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    It sounds like updating to the newer levers, larger lines, and hose-banjo interface would be worth the effort.

Would BFO work with me to retrofit my brakes? I am unclear as to whom to speak with about the issues I'm experiencing.

Ian and I haven't communicated beyond his believing a bleed and adjust would solve my issues. I hate to see this investment sit dormant, if you can help or direct me to someone who can I would greatly appreciate it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast