Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 118
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    47
    I have them on two bikes, but since I'm the Belgian importer my opinion is a little biased...
    They had some problems in the beginning, mainly due to a bad brakepad compound, but that's sorted aswell now.
    I have a couple of competition riders that use them and they compare the brakeforce with the most powerful brakesystems available, but with BFO brakes U can generate the same force with only 1 finger without any problems, U really have way more pad clearance compared to all the other brands.
    All that for a low weight and in my opinion, super looks...
    Will be glad to answer all your questions...
    hip-c.be - Home

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    134
    1) Are the calipers designed to handle sintered metal pads? What I mean by that is the fluid insulated from the massive heat transfer that sintered metal pads generate which can boil the fluid in the caliper.
    Reason I ask is that I like sintered metal pads for many reasons and would like to be able to run them. Certainly a big decision point for me.

    2) From a power and heat dissipation standpoint how do these brakes compare to a DH brake like a Shimano Saint or a Hope V2? Again, another decision point for me as I heat soak the snot out of brakes.

    3) Cost of replacement brake pads? They are new so I would imagine there is no aftermarket availability just yet so the OEM pad replacement cost is a factor for now.

    If you have some side by side tests that show they are better than the current DH brakes and can run sintered pads I am certainly interested.

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,215
    huh, i forgot to keep my eyes open for these guys....have not really seen a lot of their product out (in north america) yet. Looks like a decent product.....

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    47

    Heat dissipation isn't a problem if U see what kind of tests they have performed, due to the oil channels having a bigger diameter then other brakesystems and the fact that U can easily adjust the brake point while riding...
    World of mountainbiking, a German magazine, performed a big test of different brakesystems, including the V2 and many others and the BFO brake was the most powerful brake they tested. They tested in laboratory, but also a 2,4 km steep decent on asphalt, braking at different speeds and measuring the deceleration rate and handpower needed to achieve that deceleration. BFO was the leader with the lowest amount of handpower needed to get the biggest deceleration.
    O2 bikers in Belgium just performed a testride and logterm test and they found the brakes to be the most powerful, but also most progressive ( inexpected ) system they have tested upto this moment. They said it was a perfect brake system for the demanding endurorider looking for a powerful brake and exclusivity.
    Negative points that come up are the price and that U really need to take some time to adapt to the different brakefeeling compared to other brakes, this brake does not give U an ON/OFF feeling when U pull the lever, U can easily go in steep decents without running out of stopping power, if U want more, just pull a little bit harder on the lever...
    Some people need some getting used to the one-finger brake lever aswell, as did I...
    For people interested in trying them out, they can be delivered to the US for about 600 euros, discs included...

    Sintered pads are not available at BFO but since the pads are the same model as Magura Marta , there is plenty availability from other brands like BBB, Swisstop, EBC...

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    47
    the sintered pads are no problem , BrakeForceOne told me today.
    I have different testfiles, but they are pdf files, if anyone knows how to get them on here , while still being readabel please let me know, or I'll email the pdf's ...

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,215
    Quote Originally Posted by ianaprilia View Post
    ..
    For people interested in trying them out, they can be delivered to the US for about 600 euros, discs included...
    ..
    Holy carp, 600 Euros is a whole bunch of Canadian dollars - This makes the new Maguras look cheap in comparison!

    Not sure that is a "try em out and see" kinda price

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    47
    understand your opinion, but normal price for a set of BFO brakes is 780 euro without discs and shipping... compared to that price, the price I mentioned is a sweeter deal...

  8. #33
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,738
    How do they compensate for brake pad wear?

    Another adjustment you have to make yourself?

    The booster idea is brilliant, though.
    Check my Site

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    47
    brake pad wear is easily compensated (manually ) by turning the little wheel on the brake lever, when U put in new pads, u just turn it completely back in the other direction.
    since it's a closed system when u turn on the little screw on the lever, U push the brake pads inward or pull them outward. The pistons are magnetic and pull the pads out...

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,215
    Quote Originally Posted by ianaprilia View Post
    understand your opinion, but normal price for a set of BFO brakes is 780 euro without discs and shipping... compared to that price, the price I mentioned is a sweeter deal...
    Such a shame - with pricing like that they are going to have the same fate that brembo did when they "attempted" to enter the market with similar priced product.

    Edit - oops, someone already made the brembo comment back in December.....my bad

    If anyone has a set of these up here in Whistler I will buy you a beer if you let me take a look at em closeup (two beer for a parking lot test ride lol)

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,353
    I'm not sure why there's a reason to be impressed with this. The "Brake force multiplier" might be new to bicycle brakes but it's certainly not new to hydraulic systems or brakes generally. It's also not clear that it offers anything that servo-wave doesn't as they both vary the leverage. Absent that, these brakes seem overly expensive, not particularly light, and not self-adjusting. The light effort seems nice, but too light is not desirable anyway.

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    47
    to revive the thread...
    Are there already some people over in the US that have tried them or not?
    Discussions are easy, but trying them out is the only way...
    If there are some people interested to do so, sent me a private message, I m willing to make a very special deal...

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mazspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by ianaprilia View Post

    Heat dissipation isn't a problem if U see what kind of tests they have performed, due to the oil channels having a bigger diameter then other brakesystems and the fact that U can easily adjust the brake point while riding...
    World of mountainbiking, a German magazine, performed a big test of different brakesystems, including the V2 and many others and the BFO brake was the most powerful brake they tested. They tested in laboratory, but also a 2,4 km steep decent on asphalt, braking at different speeds and measuring the deceleration rate and handpower needed to achieve that deceleration. BFO was the leader with the lowest amount of handpower needed to get the biggest deceleration.
    O2 bikers in Belgium just performed a testride and logterm test and they found the brakes to be the most powerful, but also most progressive ( inexpected ) system they have tested upto this moment. They said it was a perfect brake system for the demanding endurorider looking for a powerful brake and exclusivity.
    Negative points that come up are the price and that U really need to take some time to adapt to the different brakefeeling compared to other brakes, this brake does not give U an ON/OFF feeling when U pull the lever, U can easily go in steep decents without running out of stopping power, if U want more, just pull a little bit harder on the lever...
    Some people need some getting used to the one-finger brake lever aswell, as did I...
    For people interested in trying them out, they can be delivered to the US for about 600 euros, discs included...

    Sintered pads are not available at BFO but since the pads are the same model as Magura Marta , there is plenty availability from other brands like BBB, Swisstop, EBC...
    Do you have any English links to back this up? I for one would like to see some reviews on your claims. Seems like the price is very high for something that has yet to be proved. If I am going to buy something like this, at this price, you better be sure I want proof that it is as claimed.

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    64
    If you read german, will be easier to make up your mind.

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mazspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by MirFlash View Post
    If you read german, will be easier to make up your mind.
    What does that have to do with anything, and why did you send me a private message bragging about these brakes?
    I don't like spam, so don't spam the forums and people's e-mails with this stuff.

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,512
    Quote Originally Posted by MirFlash View Post
    If you read german, will be easier to make up your mind.
    True. So true. If anyone reads German, it's always easier to make up their mind.
    One time I was in line at a fast food restaurant and was having a hard time deciding what I wanted to eat. I kept letting people pass me because I was so cornfused. Luckily they had a German menu. One glance and my mind was made up. Silly English menu, so hard to understand and make up one's mind. Whew!

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    64
    As for the german part : Brakeforce One - MTB-News.de | IBC Mountainbike Forum

    32 pages BFO related, enjoy

  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    100
    would love to have a set, but the price is a bit steep..

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mojojojoaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    True. So true. If anyone reads German, it's always easier to make up their mind.
    One time I was in line at a fast food restaurant and was having a hard time deciding what I wanted to eat. I kept letting people pass me because I was so cornfused. Luckily they had a German menu. One glance and my mind was made up. Silly English menu, so hard to understand and make up one's mind. Whew!
    Dude that was funny.

  20. #45
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,372
    Quote Originally Posted by MirFlash View Post
    As for the german part : Brakeforce One - MTB-News.de | IBC Mountainbike Forum

    32 pages BFO related, enjoy
    This is a pretty comical read with google translate.

    Based on what's been stated above - particularly about a) one finger braking, b) power and c) modulation - I fail to see what this system has to offer above and beyond other products from Hope, Formula and hell, even Shimano now.

    Other than a $700 price tag of course . . . for that much, I can get a set of Hope's and have enough left for a good time at the strip club.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mazspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    974
    Ok, now I am pissed!
    To MirFlash. I have asked you not to message me and not only have you kept messaging me, you don't want to stop, no matter how much I ask you too. What part of "Don't message me anymore" do you not understand??


    You don't seem to want to stop, so maybe doing this in public is the only way to embarrass you enough to make you stop. Please PISS OFF!
    Sorry to all who had to see this. Also is there an ignore feature with this site? Thanks and sorry.

    Mike

  22. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,512
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    Ok, now I am pissed!
    To MirFlash. I have asked you not to message me and not only have you kept messaging me, you don't want to stop, no matter how much I ask you too. What part of "Don't message me anymore" do you not understand??


    You don't seem to want to stop, so maybe doing this in public is the only way to embarrass you enough to make you stop. Please PISS OFF!
    Sorry to all who had to see this. Also is there an ignore feature with this site? Thanks and sorry.

    Mike
    Report it to the mods that he is harassing you. They will put a stop to it.

  23. #48
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,372
    . . . and there is an ignore function. I know quite certainly there's at least one member here who has me on their "Ignore" list!
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mazspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    974
    Thanks guys, I will do both. Sorry for the online rant.

  25. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    47
    for the guys that are interested in knowing more or perhaps that are wanting to buy them but found the price to steep, send me a pm, I will gladly help U out and will make U a special price...
    English articles I could find:

    Meet Brake Force One, a German approach to how you stop - Bike Rumor

    Riva Bike Festival 2012: Magura, Brake Force One and Fox

    Have fun reading...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone riding tomorrow in town or out of town?
    By clockwork in forum Arizona
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-15-2011, 10:19 PM
  2. Move over Saint, there's a new player in town!
    By Nick_M2R in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 11-25-2010, 11:45 AM
  3. P-Town Wheels? Worthy of NoBrow hipsters and P-Town himself?
    By slcrockymountainrider in forum Utah
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-28-2010, 03:39 PM
  4. OT: MiniDisc player/MP3 Player reccomendations?
    By cdloental78 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-10-2005, 12:53 PM
  5. What MP3 Player to Buy?
    By KERKOVEJ in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 11-08-2004, 10:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •