mtbr member

Brake use while trail riding?

When im trail riding at the park i find myself using my rear brakes only! i have dic brakes front and back. just wanted to know if this is ok and which ones u guys are using?

mtbr member
    80% front b/c when you brake front wheel the weight transfer increases front wheel traction so it takes a lot more to cause it to slip --> you slow/stop faster

if you're fine w/ just rears, it means you probably haven't had a situation that requires serious braking. you should still practice with both so that when you do need to stop fast, you can w/o going over bars

Spice
    Dec 2008
    your back brake is more for aiding the front brake to slow you, its the front brake you should be using to stop
    use both
    its much better

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    I almost never touch my rears, road or trail. The fronts are much more useful (and safer) in most situations. When I snapped a rear brake lever in half, I didn't miss it at all. Rears are too easy to skid.

Also, the fastest way to stop is to use front brake only, hard enough that the rear wheel is barely touching the ground (any rear brake will skid at this point, so don't bother).

mtbr member
    thanks ill try to use more of the front brakes

The White Jeff W
    I use both at the same time. About 70% front 30% back
    No moss...

local trails rider
    You need the front when you really want to slow down.

You need to be a bit careful with the front if you have to brake on slippery surfaces or around any bumpy stuff.

Dirt Deviant
    I find when going through turns I use mostly the rear to scrub a little speed......depends on how sharp the turn is and soil conditions. Sometimes it is easy to wipe out using too much front brake through a turn on loose over hardpack soil.....but in general I use more front than back.

mtbr member
    I am a strong advocate of the front brake. If you need to stop in a hurry, it is the front brake that'll save you.

Last year I saw a rider crash on a mild downhill, on a gravel road, because he could not stop using just his rear brake. (There was a large group of pedestrians at the bottom). My son was riding the same hill, and had no trouble stopping and not crashing by using his front brake. It was a proud moment for this old dad.

Even if you prefer the rear brake for riding around the park, practice to get good with the front. You won't regret it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ssr2
    thanks ill try to use more of the front brakes
    Yes, and if you lock your rear, you may need to shift your weight back a little and check your tire choice. I have found some tires like to skid, I hate it.

Also, learn to scrub your speed before the turn. Then, get the correct bike lean and pedal out of the turn. Speed and control increase
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    both approaching the turn, then letting up on the front to allow the front suspension to work and using the rear to fine tune speed