Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7

    Brake upgrades vs Completely new system...

    I have a feeling I know where this thread will go, but I thought I'd ask anyway...

    Has anyone here done a brake upgrade - going from a 160mm rotor, to 180mm rotor, when running hydraulic brakes? Was there much of a performance difference once you did the upgrade?

    I'm considering doing this, or just scrapping the current brake system altogether, and just going with a higher end brake system.

    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    151
    There is a noticeable increase in power because you get more leverage and lower operating temperatures...however what exactly is your problem with your current setup?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by carpy95 View Post
    There is a noticeable increase in power because you get more leverage and lower operating temperatures...however what exactly is your problem with your current setup?
    Nothing wrong with it really, I'd just prefer a more solid brake feel. I'm running the stock Avid Juicy Fives, they stop well enough, I'd like more stopping power, these do not inspire confidence on a steep downhill run.

    I'm thinking about going to AVID XX's.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mitzikatzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,811
    Quote Originally Posted by W57thNY View Post
    Nothing wrong with it really, I'd just prefer a more solid brake feel. I'm running the stock Avid Juicy Fives, they stop well enough, I'd like more stopping power, these do not inspire confidence on a steep downhill run.

    I'm thinking about going to AVID XX's.
    Try a bigger rotor 185mm or 203mm. (one size bigger on the front then the rear). Some say 185mm is as big as you should fit to a quick release wheel others disaggree, also check what the max is for your fork.
    Try better pads eg EBC Red
    Try Braided steel hose.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

  5. #5
    Bike to the Bone...
    Reputation: rzozaya1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8,291
    Quote Originally Posted by W57thNY View Post
    I have a feeling I know where this thread will go, but I thought I'd ask anyway...

    Has anyone here done a brake upgrade - going from a 160mm rotor, to 180mm rotor, when running hydraulic brakes? Was there much of a performance difference once you did the upgrade?

    I'm considering doing this, or just scrapping the current brake system altogether, and just going with a higher end brake system.

    Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    I went from 160 to 200 a while back on Shimano XT brakes (2005 model), and I did notice the difference. Not day & night, but it was positive.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DavidR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,696
    Quote Originally Posted by W57thNY View Post
    I'm thinking about going to AVID XX's.
    If your looking to upgrade to gain additional power, this would not be the brake I would select. There are much better alternatives on the market.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by W57thNY View Post
    Nothing wrong with it really, I'd just prefer a more solid brake feel. I'm running the stock Avid Juicy Fives, they stop well enough, I'd like more stopping power, these do not inspire confidence on a steep downhill run.

    I'm thinking about going to AVID XX's.
    Avid XX's are not made to have a ton of stopping power, they are weight weenie world cup XC brakes. I would steer you to 2012 Shimano XTR's.

Similar Threads

  1. Brake Therapy Floating Brake System on my 2003 AC
    By bikedreamer in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 06:14 PM
  2. Brake system poll.. X post from brake forum.
    By Damitletsride! in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-12-2009, 02:33 PM
  3. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 12-02-2007, 02:33 PM
  4. Ack! Juicy 5 rear disc brake locked up completely
    By -=phelan=- in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 07:12 AM
  5. Best Brake System
    By whftrout in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-09-2007, 07:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •