• 12-01-2011
    W57thNY
    Brake upgrades vs Completely new system...
    I have a feeling I know where this thread will go, but I thought I'd ask anyway...

Has anyone here done a brake upgrade - going from a 160mm rotor, to 180mm rotor, when running hydraulic brakes? Was there much of a performance difference once you did the upgrade?

I'm considering doing this, or just scrapping the current brake system altogether, and just going with a higher end brake system.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  • 12-01-2011
    carpy95
    There is a noticeable increase in power because you get more leverage and lower operating temperatures...however what exactly is your problem with your current setup?
  • 12-01-2011
    W57thNY
    Quote:

Originally Posted by carpy95 View Post
    There is a noticeable increase in power because you get more leverage and lower operating temperatures...however what exactly is your problem with your current setup?

Nothing wrong with it really, I'd just prefer a more solid brake feel. I'm running the stock Avid Juicy Fives, they stop well enough, I'd like more stopping power, these do not inspire confidence on a steep downhill run.

I'm thinking about going to AVID XX's.
  • 12-01-2011
    mitzikatzi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by W57thNY View Post
    Nothing wrong with it really, I'd just prefer a more solid brake feel. I'm running the stock Avid Juicy Fives, they stop well enough, I'd like more stopping power, these do not inspire confidence on a steep downhill run.

Try a bigger rotor 185mm or 203mm. (one size bigger on the front then the rear). Some say 185mm is as big as you should fit to a quick release wheel others disaggree, also check what the max is for your fork.
    Try better pads eg EBC Red
    Try Braided steel hose.
  • 12-02-2011
    rzozaya1969
    Quote:

I have a feeling I know where this thread will go, but I thought I'd ask anyway...

Has anyone here done a brake upgrade - going from a 160mm rotor, to 180mm rotor, when running hydraulic brakes? Was there much of a performance difference once you did the upgrade?

I'm considering doing this, or just scrapping the current brake system altogether, and just going with a higher end brake system.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I went from 160 to 200 a while back on Shimano XT brakes (2005 model), and I did notice the difference. Not day & night, but it was positive.
  • 12-02-2011
    DavidR1
    Quote:

If your looking to upgrade to gain additional power, this would not be the brake I would select. There are much better alternatives on the market.
  • 12-02-2011
    carpy95
    Quote:

Avid XX's are not made to have a ton of stopping power, they are weight weenie world cup XC brakes. I would steer you to 2012 Shimano XTR's.