mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Brake upgrade questions

Hi there, I am extremely new to biking (well besides 15 years ago when I was a kid and rode everywhere). I have recently bought a 2006 Kona Fire MTB with cable disk brakes. I would like to upgrade to some hydraulics (avid juicy 7's specifically because of price). I was wondering if these brakes would fit on the standard mounts for my current brakes. Are the caliper mounts the same? Would the disks bolt up the same (they are both 6 bolt I think, or whatever the standard bolt pattern is. In motorcycling I believe they are called the carrier bolts).

I ride a motorcycle and have upgraded many parts on it, and that is why I kind of have the bug for updating my bicycle. I just am not sure how to "hot rod" a bike.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Brake Mount Standards

The Juicy is a post mount brake, if your fork has IS mounts you can get an adapter to attach it, the rear brake will need an adapter to attach it as no mass produced frames from 2006 had post mounts on them.
    If you have the stock fork on this bike it has IS mounts and it'd probably only be rated to a maximum rotor size of 160mm.
    If your current hubs/rotors are 6 bolt then any replacement rotor will need to also have to be 6 bolt.

Old Avid adapters link.
    3, 4, 5 and 6 are rear IS adapters.
    6, 7, and 10 are front IS adapters.

New Avid adapters, they've renamed them and some are different sizes to the old ones.
    0mm IS - front 160mm / rear 140mm
    20mm IS - front 180mm / rear 160mm
    40mm IS - front 200mm / rear 180mm
    60mm IS - rear 200mm

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    OK so let me try to understand this (like I said I am new to bikes)...

If I want to put Avid Juicy 7 brakes on my bike with 160mm rotors front/rear I would need adapter 3 (for rear) and 6 (for front) from the "Old Avid adapters"....

OR 0mm IS (for front) and 20mm IS (for rear) from the "New Avid adapters"?

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Correct for the rear and correct for the front only if the fork has the IS mount on it.
    I'm only assuming from the bike's specs list that this fork with IS mounts is what you have on it.
    If the fork has post mounts on it, the brake caliper will bolt directly onto them without an adapter when using a 160mm rotor.

Last edited by cobba; 09-10-2012 at 11:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    yes I have the stock fork. I am going to look at the bike later today. Thanks for the info. Do you know of any good web sites that sell the adapters? I am sure I could get the info from a google search but maybe you know of a reputable source or something.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    If the bike has Hayes post mount calipers on it you can use the current adapters.
    The avid calipers will need the CPS washers though.

Avid CPS Hardware Kit

Last edited by cobba; 09-11-2012 at 10:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    OK took a look at the calipers and both of them do have the adapters on them. Thanks for all the info, I believe I have enough now to know what to do. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Buy Shimano instead,

The Shimano's are a much better brake and more user friendly. Ask the guys at your shop if they like to work on Shimano's or Avids.
    Formula makes the best brakes (IMO), Shimano makes the best inexpensive brakes.
    Avids are far down the list and finicky by reputation.
    Cheers