mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Brake time rookie needs advice

Hey now,
    next upgrade on my 2011 Mamba is going to upgrading be the stock brakes, I believe I have the Avid BB5 (there is no lower end Avid, right?). I want to stick with mechanical disk brakes and want to keep it fairly simple. Any thoughts on upgrading to the Avid BB7's?
    I am completely new to disc brakes, how does rotor size effect performance? Obviously they must not get as hot as fast (more surface area)? Less fluttering? Can I fit any rotor size on the Mamba?
    The BB7s are 180mm and the BB5s are 160 mm so would there be noticalbe perfromance enhancement?
    Any objections to sticking with the Avid setup? I don't want to spend more than like $150 - $200 on this upgrade and I am planning on leaving the brake levers stock.
    Would replacing the stock cable improve performance?
    Oh, and I am a 6'3" 240lb so take that into consideration.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Skip the intermediate step and costs and go directly to SLX m666s. 160mm is fine.
    Shimano SLX Scheibenbremse BR-M675 Modell 2013 - BIKE-COMPONENTS.DE
    150 and about 25 shipping no matter how much so add some tires and anything else you want to upgrade.

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 805Emesa View Post
    Hey now,
    next upgrade on my 2011 Mamba is going to upgrading be the stock brakes, I believe I have the Avid BB5 (there is no lower end Avid, right?). I want to stick with mechanical disk brakes and want to keep it fairly simple. Any thoughts on upgrading to the Avid BB7's?
    I am completely new to disc brakes, how does rotor size effect performance? Obviously they must not get as hot as fast (more surface area)? Less fluttering? Can I fit any rotor size on the Mamba?
    The BB7s are 180mm and the BB5s are 160 mm so would there be noticalbe perfromance enhancement?
    Any objections to sticking with the Avid setup? I don't want to spend more than like $150 - $200 on this upgrade and I am planning on leaving the brake levers stock.
    Would replacing the stock cable improve performance?
    Oh, and I am a 6'3" 240lb so take that into consideration.
    If you want to stick with mechanicals and you already have BB5's, my advice would be to just keep your existing setup or perhaps consider SD7 levers. Going from BB5 to BB7 is not a game changer.
    Get it unlocked.

Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by estabro View Post
    If you want to stick with mechanicals and you already have BB5's, my advice would be to just keep your existing setup or perhaps consider SD7 levers. Going from BB5 to BB7 is not a game changer.
    this.

Once you get the SD7 levers dialed in right they will make a noticeable difference. You can get a modularesque feel out of em.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It would be in your interest to check some LBS for a 2013 with XT or SLX brakes. When you test ride it be aware-- the rear brake is one finger but the front is 1/2 finger.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hello,
    I hope to post in the right place.
    Looking to buy a bike, one of the options is Scott Aspect 30 but I'm confused by the brakes, Tektro SCH-01. Does anyone have experience with them? What model really are ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MiDan View Post
    Hello,
    I hope to post in the right place.
    Looking to buy a bike, one of the options is Scott Aspect 30 but I'm confused by the brakes, Tektro SCH-01. Does anyone have experience with them? What model really are ?
    My trek Mamba came with tektro brake levers and avid BB5 brakes , I am going to upgrade my entire brake system because my BB5's squeeked, rubbed and fluttered on and off since the get go (They will stop you though). I believe Tektro is an inexpensive component but thats what you are going to get with any entry level trail bike.

Weekend Warrior
    A brand new set of SLX F+R brake set can be had for about $200 online and it'll be a day and night difference from mechanical brakes.

Elixir 5 and 7s are also great choice for raw stopping power compared to mechanicals, but may lack a bit of modulation.
    Realtor/Photographer and weekend warrior.
    My Endomondo
    My Cycling Deals Blog