Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Brake Test: Formula, The One's Wins

4K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Brother Lu 
#1 ·
Mtn. Biking UK magazine (purchased at Borders), just released their March issue with a brake test. The Formula My One's scored the highest 4.5 stars out of 5 and that brake won the test over about 13 other brakes.
Cheers.

#3 ·
I am so happy I bought the Code R's. I have a set of Code R's on my freeride bike 203/185,although I prefer the way they feel on my 26 inch AM bike.

On my freeride the Code R's simply stop me well,on my all mountain bike it was so easy to lift the rear end using the Code R's. Unfortunately I am running the Elixir CR's on my AM bike. :(

Thanks for the 4-11!

#4 ·
#5 ·
No doubt there are many factors involved in a component satisfying a cyclist; performance, feel, cost, weight, appearance, ease of maintenance, etc. Myself, I'm happy to have a cost-effective and good-looking brake of roughly average performance that is also quiet and trouble-free. Not that my XT brakes were in the chart.

#6 ·
Clones123 said:
BikeRadar recently published results from their comparison of 19 different brakes. Avid Code R was way out on top while Clarks Skeleton was way out on the bottom. The other brakes were grouped in the middle.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/how-we-test-hydraulic-disc-brakes-24345
Nope The Avid Code had higher deccelleration for a given finger pull than any other brake...

Doesn't mean it is better brake....it can still squeal, over heat, rub etc.

#7 ·
looking at the bikeradar tests the Avid elixer 3 shows to be the best brake actually (in the dry at any rate).

It has the highest deceleration figure at max pull (only 0.02N less than the Code R at 100N) and also shows a completely flat response graph. comparing this to the Code R shows the Code R's lack of modulation compared to the elixir with remarkably similar maximum power. The max force was reached on the Code R at 100N pull. It will feel direct but wont have as much modulation as the Elixir.

Disappointed my new V2's arent on the graphs would have been interesting.

#8 ·
I've used the Elixir 3's and the Code R's and I can assure you that the Code R's are the real deal. In terms of real power they blow the Elixir 3's away. As a Code R owner I can also assure you that they have great modulation,although their usable power is also much higher than the Elixir R's or CR's.

#10 ·
mefistofeles said:
I've used the Elixir 3's and the Code R's and I can assure you that the Code R's are the real deal. In terms of real power they blow the Elixir 3's away. As a Code R owner I can also assure you that they have great modulation,although their usable power is also much higher than the Elixir R's or CR's.
I wasnt having a go at any of the actual brakes, just the interpretation of the data by another forum member. The data shown in my opinion doesnt show the real story. I have just upgraded from Elixer R's to Hope V2's and as expected they hopes are insane compared to the Elixers, BUT the elixers i found always had ample power and very good modulation. I liked them very much and they served me perfectly for 2 years. 2 years of abuse (I weigh 100+ kg and dont ride on the flat much :thumbsup: ) and salty roads in the winter finally made me upgrade.

Looking at the numbers on the actual V2 test on bike radar shows similar if slightly lower readings for them compared to the elixers, which I can categorically say is wrong. anywhoo my .02

#12 ·
mefistofeles said:
I think you misread the graph there only two brakes that have more power than the Hope V2's and none them are Elixirs. Read the graph again.
I haven't mis read the graphs on the bikeradar link, for a start the readings for the v2 aren't even on there. At 150N pull the brake giving the highest deceleration is the elixir 3 closely followed by the code 5. I looked at their review of the v2 on a different page which showed just over 8ms-2. ( iPhone won't do superscript sorry). Please enlighten me if you still disagree.

Again I'm not disagreeing that the elixir 3 is a lesser brake than the code 5, only with the interpretation of the test data, which I think is unreliable for obvious reasons.
Regards

#14 ·
zkampyman said:
I thought the 2011 Deore brake won the test. Maybe that was the other half of the test in Wmtb.

Anyway, it's well known that the star ratings in MBUK and What MTB (same staff for two mags, confused? You will be) are doled out at near total random.

Go look through their website (Bikeradar), you will see glowing reviews for 2 star products and three paragraphs of glitches for a supposedly 4.5 star. Their reviews are mostly quite fair, although they suffer the common magazine problem of not writing anything negative ever for fear of angering advertisers. Just ignore the star ratings out of hand.

#15 ·
highdelll said:
This just in:
Flight is ranked as the fastest mode of travel.
If only we could power things with engines that ran on bad news. Bad news is commonly known to travel faster than anything. The trouble with it would be that when vehicles powered by bad news arrived anywhere they arent likely to be met with open arms or smiley faces.... shame good idea otherwise

(does anyone care to hazard a guess at who originally came up with this piece of literary genius??? 10 points to the first person to get it :thumbsup: )

#16 ·
I'm looking to upgrade my brakes and have been considering Formula TO. What I would like to know is this; Does the "feel" of Formula's R system carry over to the One? I have riden a bike with the R's on it and was amazed at the control I had. I'm looking for a VERY durable system as I am rough rider. I also use my brakes to pivot, endo, wheelie and slide. I'm currently using 8" rotors on a 29er (8" in the rear is not by choice but I'm finding it very nice) with Hayes mechanical calipers. Dot4 is prefered over mineral oil, 1 piece caliper is prefered over 2, armored lines are a plus.

Considering:
Avid Elix R
Saint
Formula the One
Formula R

I have strong hands so max brake power with least ammount of pressure is not very important to me. A large, well designed pad, and meaty rotor (meaning almost solid, and with as much metal as I can get between the pads!!) is what I'm needing. I really like the feel of Avid's Polygon 203mm rotor so I just need to match them with a really good hydrolic system.

#17 ·
I have the formula rx brake's,with the goodridge metal pads 'the stock resin pads suck' and 8' rotors. I tried this set up on my bigger travel bike when i had troubles with my 2nd gen saints. I gave the saints to my kid. The power and modulation is shocking for such a small light cheap brake.The pads do have to be changed though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.