mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Brake switch, adaptor question?

I have avid elixir 1's on my x-cal with 180 on front 160 on the back.

Will i need a different adapter if i switch to shimano xt's?

Thanks

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ttt for some help.... a lot of guys talk about switching from elixir to the xt's.

Do u need a different adaptor or are they universal?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Had a buddy go from Elixirs to XT and he kept the Avid adapters on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The-one1.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    In general you're okay Elixer's to Shimano, the only thing to watch out for is older Avids used a 185mm front rotor and newer ones match Shimano at 180mm. If you use the same rotors, no worries, but if you change keep an eye on that. It seems to only be an issue on the 7" 18X rotors, not 160 or 203.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I just went from Elixir 1's to SLX myself. If you search here and elsewhere on the internet, you'll sfind several examples of people who have reused the adaptors. There was one really good thread on here from somebody who did it and posted a bunch of pictures. It works, but it doesn't look like a precise fit. In particular, the 180mm has a little bit of space at one of the interfaces. After installing myself, I would guess that it might be a little tougher to get the caliper centered on the rotor with the inexact fit, but I'm kind of a noob and could be wrong. My suggestion would be to spend the extra 20 bucks or so and get the adaptors. You can sell the Avid adaptors with your old brakes.

Also, my SLX's were well worth the money..I never liked the feel (or sound) of my Avids. The quiet is probably worth it all by itself. Enjoy your
    XT's