Thread: Brake Swaps

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Brake Swaps

So I have 2 bikes...

2010 Trek Session 88
    2007 Trek 6000

The 6000 has bb5 brakes and the session has juicy seven brakes. I was looking into getting new brakes and some other components for the 6000 because everything is still stock from the day I got it, i have replaced the cables and it helped for a little bit but they just arent what they used to be. I was also looking into getting new brakes for the session but then I was thinking... What if I take the juicy seven's off the session and put them on the 6000 then get new brakes for the session.

will this work? can i use the same rotors?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Sure you can. You're swapping Avid for Avid so shouldn't be a problem. Just don't use the huge rotors from the 88 on the 6000. The fork on the 6000 isn't rated for that big of a rotor, and you'd likely run into clearance issues on the rear. If you stick with the stock rotors on the 6000 you should be fine though.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yea sorry thats what I ment by using the same rotors, leaving the rotors on the 6000 but using the brakeset from the session.

thanks for the input, and until you said avid to avid that completely slipped my mind that they were the same company lol

LightJunction.com
    Yep, they'll work. I've used this method for years when upgrading components. When taking parts off a more aggressive bike and putting them on a more XCish bike, it's always best to check compatibility as Squash said. Some of those beefier components on the DH/FR bike can cause problems on a lighter XC bike.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ok, so instead of starting a new thread ill try and get some help here....

So I made the swap and everything transferred from the session to the 6000 fine, i got some new pads and just have to break them in.

I ordered hayes stroker aces for the session but have a couple questions/issues.... The rear installed fine but the fronts seem to be off with the alignment. I got the 203mm hayes adapter and there is an "up" written on it. When installed with the UP pointed up, the caliper is not even inline with the rotor (not even close). When flipped over, the UP pointed down, the fitment is MUCH better. is that how it is supposed to be?

then my next question is the rotor doesnt seem to be even when looking down from the top of the caliper, like it comes up higher towards the back of the caliper than the front... I have some pics but cant post yet (newwb status)

hope this all makes sense...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Here are some pics to try and clear stuff up...

Printed UP facing up

Printed UP facing down

Uneven... im just worried about weird pad wear...

Is dang happy!
    Looks like the adapter is the wrong size, the LBS should be swimming in 160mm adapters if you can't track one down.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    ok thanks ill check into that see if i can get it to line up correctly