mtbr member

Brake supply/parts alternative?

The prices of this stuff is crazy. For the size, things are even more expensive than my Jeep habit.

Got an Avid brake bleed kit. Comes with 2 10ml medical syringes, tiny amount of brake fluid, two hose screws and ferrels, and two syringe adapters. $40. Jesus. If I didn't need the syringe locks I would have gotten the syringes from work.

As it is, I'm going to put together my own locks and syringes once I find the thread adapter and give them to all of my friends.

Are there any alternatives to Avid brake hoses? $36 for 4-5 feet is also crazy. Motorcycle? Other industrial supplies?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If you don't pay them their blood money for hydraulic hose, you void your brake warranty. This is definitely worth considering, as Avid/SRAMs warranties are fantastic. You have 2 years, then go nuts.

The bleed kit is fairly easy to assemble yourself, with the bleed port fitting. You should be able to find it on ebay. Do yourself a favor and pitch out the idea of using the 'clamps' they give you. Buy a couple of plastic locking forceps online or at a medical supply store. They clamp tighter, and don't allow you to draw air in while you are degassing the fluid. You actually only need one (to degas both syringes, and then clamp the lever syringe).

When looking for syringes, get one with a stop at the back end, so you can't pull the plunger out while applying a vacuum to the system. This is one feature that is fantastic re: the professional bleed kit.

Now, all that aside, I do think the professional kit is well worth the price--enough fluid to bleed a pair of brakes several times (or several brakes!) syringes with stops and replacement seals (not to mention brass fittings, not cheap) a crow's foot socket head for torquing hose fittings, bleed blocks, and barbs/olives for hoses. All that, and it can be found for $55 or less.

[/soap box]

And no, I don't work for Avid.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The warranty issue is rather true. But if you have used or old brakes or something, try Clarks hydraulic brake hose. It's dirt cheap and includes all the fittings. Check Cambria bike or other stores.
    Bamboo is real.

mtbr member
    Just go buy some pentosin hcf7.1 mineral oil fluid from your local auto parts place.it used for bmw hyrdaulic steering systems on some models.
    It works even better than stock fluid a 2liters 20$
    I found it on mtbr somewhere , I use it makes your brakes quicker and snappier.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelchef67 View Post
    Just go buy some pentosin hcf7.1 mineral oil fluid from your local auto parts place.
    No. Well, not with the OP's Avid brakes at least. You will screw things up if you put Pentosin or the like in brakes that run DOT fluid. Pentosin is a mineral oil alternative, suitable for Shimano and Magura brakes (though it voids Magura's warranty and may void Shimano's).

For fluid, automotive DOT fluid is fine. DOT 4 or 5.1 preferred, but DOT3 can be used without damage to the brake system. But the brake fluid will boil faster leading to loss of braking if you ride hard or fast.

Besides, OP already has brake fluid. He asked about hose.
    Bamboo is real.

mtbr member
    Oops my bad I missed that it was dot fluid...
    " I only Ride Enduro'

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It's all good. But yeah, Pentosin works great for your mineral oil brakes, even if it may void warranties.
    Bamboo is real.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Try buying stuff for Formula brakes. I think they might have got their pricing structure from Ferrari
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    The warranty issue is rather true. But if you have used or old brakes or something

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall View Post
    Try buying stuff for Formula brakes. I think they might have got their pricing structure from Ferrari
    Same boat here. But Ferrari uses fancy magnesium or carbon fiber. Meanwhile, Formula charges $40 for a steel pushrod assembly. Not even both sides.
    Bamboo is real.