mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Brake suggestions? Shimano XT/XTR-m988/Saint m810

I am looking to upgrade my current brakes. I currently run slx (2009?) and I am 210-215 lbs with pack. I ride pretty agressive and I am looking for more grab and "one finger tap braking". I read greats things about the xt m-785 (can get them for $225). But was wondering are shimano xtr-br-m988 ($400/current) and Saint M-810 ($360/current) worth/justify the $200 price/performance difference over the Xt's? And is the difference with the xtr's/xt's just weight savings or noticable performace. Any suggestions would help. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    the xtr is less powerful and stiff than the xt although its a one-piece-caliper. on what bike are these brakes going? if you arenīt riding dh i would go with the xt. you could also consider getting a formula the one or a hope m4/v2.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbheezy View Post
    I am looking to upgrade my current brakes. I currently run slx (2009?) and I am 210-215 lbs with pack. I ride pretty agressive and I am looking for more grab and "one finger tap braking". I read greats things about the xt m-785 (can get them for $225). But was wondering are shimano xtr-br-m988 ($400/current) and Saint M-810 ($360/current) worth/justify the $200 price/performance difference over the Xt's? And is the difference with the xtr's/xt's just weight savings or noticable performace. Any suggestions would help. Thanks
    I'm not sure where your getting your prices, but they seem awfully high. Are you good with a wrench? Save yourself a lot if you buy on the internet and do the work yourself.

Wiggle | Shimano Saint M810 Front Disc Brake Lever and PM Calliper Disc Brakes
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    They going on a Turner 5-spot. I already run xt-ice tech rotors so I figure staying with Shimano could save me a few dolllars. And Mtb Pilot, my prices are in U.S. and for a Pair (both front and back). So I think we are still fairly close in price.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    my 2 cents worth (i probably owe you change from that)... Formula the Ones were OEM on my EVO FSR 29r... constant hassles for 4 months from initial purchase. LBS could not get rid of a variety fo squeals & constant rubbing. Spesh finally let them swap them out on warranty. I'm on XTR's now... 6mo. of riding.... no noises, no rubbing, no adjustments needed. 1 finger stopping power (I weigh 230lb)... I just ride and smile a little. : )

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    how do both brakes (one & xtr) compare in terms of braking power?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I was fine with braking power of the Ones... never needed more than one or 2 fingers max. But I love the XTRs.... I don't even put a 2nd finger on them, ever.... silly nice from my POV.

mtbr member
    Go with the XTs. Put any leftover $ aside for new tire(s) for the Fall/winter

Sent from a tiny keyboard

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Subscribed.