mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Brake Sticky when Hot (Sunlight exposure)

Hi guys,

I recently found out my brakes stick in the engarged position when the bike is hot from the direct Arizona sun.

When squeezed the brakes stay squeezed.
    I bring the bike back indoors (75F) and 30mins later the brakes work 100%

To my knowledge the system is new, and has new fluid (DOT4 syn)

Ive read here that it maybe some plastic part(s) inside the master cylinder (Lever assembly) that causes the it expand in the heat and therefore causing brake failure until the assembly cools down.
    Ive read to lube up the MC...but isnt there fluid in there that will contact the grease/lube I apply? Isnt that going to contaminate the system?

Or is there aftermarket parts I can put in to solve this issue.

Brakes are Haynes Soles iirc. (Stock Giant AC brakes)

Thanks,
    -San

Meh.
    Clean and lube around the pivot/pushrod area. It will not contaminate the fluid unless you have a leak or are spraying into the bleed port.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    From your expeience, does lack of lube in that area (btw it's clean) will cause a temperature behavior I've described?

That doesn't sound like good engineering at all. These products are designed to be outdoors...
    -San

Meh.
    It could be a number of problems, the SO1E is a very low quality entry level brake. If cleaning and lubing doesn't help, I would recommend calling Hayes to see if they have any input. Sometimes they just replace the entire brake. If not... now may be a good opportunity to upgrade.

Rub it............
    I had a small issue with my Juicy's like this. Ended up pulling the pads and cleaning/lubing the pistons. Problem solved.