mtbr member

Brake Squeal new Wheel

I have been running Xt discs with a 185mm Avid rotor on the front for some time and love the setup. I recently needed a new wheel and picked up some fairly new second hand wheel from a friend. It has a DT Swiss 370 hub. After switching over and converting it to tubeless, had to chase some leaks and re-selant it a couple of times.

On my first ride I had next to no front brake, but at slow speed had major brake squeal. Thinking I may have contaminated the pads and/or rotors, I removed them and resurfaced the pads with a clean sharpening stone and used wet dry sand paper on the rotor. I now had stopping power but still slow speed squeal. I then swapped front wheel with my 96er, running BB7's, and took both for a ride. The 96er has the squeal now, thus I believe the issue is the rotor.

Is there any way to save the rotor or is the 185mm to large for the 370 hub? How could I have contaminated a SS rotor with Stan's sealant and or soapy water to the point of needing to replace?

mtbr member

Re: Brake Squeal new Wheel

The issue may not be contamination from what you were doing. Often times rotors need to be cleaned even when new. Use alcohol or brake cleaner and a clean rag. If using brake cleaner make sure you take your rotor off your wheel because the brake cleaner can eat the paint on your hubs, and rims.

Also, if this doesnt solve the issue you can lightly sand your rotors with 120 grit sandpaper, then clean rotors and pads again as stated above, and go through a proper bed in process. Still doesnt always solve the problem but seems to work most of the time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabeach2001 View Post
    I have been running Xt discs with a 185mm Avid rotor on the front for some time and love the setup. I recently needed a new wheel and picked up some fairly new second hand wheel from a friend. It has a DT Swiss 370 hub. After switching over and converting it to tubeless, had to chase some leaks and re-selant it a couple of times.

On my first ride I had next to no front brake, but at slow speed had major brake squeal. Thinking I may have contaminated the pads and/or rotors, I removed them and resurfaced the pads with a clean sharpening stone and used wet dry sand paper on the rotor. I now had stopping power but still slow speed squeal. I then swapped front wheel with my 96er, running BB7's, and took both for a ride. The 96er has the squeal now, thus I believe the issue is the rotor.

Is there any way to save the rotor or is the 185mm to large for the 370 hub? How could I have contaminated a SS rotor with Stan's sealant and or soapy water to the point of needing to replace?
    1. Check to see if the rotor is warped or rubbing.
    2. Check QR, make sure they are tight and there is minimal flex
    3. Clean the discs with 99% oh
    4. Use 150-200 grit sand paper on a hard flat surface for the pads. Rub the pads on the flattened sandpaper over a large area. This is mostly for deglazing, but you have to make sure that the entire pad surface is sanded as flat as possible. Dont take off too much material, just enough to get the dirt and glaze off.
    5. Make sure there is enough of a gap between pad a rotor. When mounting the caliper, get the pads and pistons all the way in and then center the caliper to the disc. Then set the spacing of the pads by squeezind and holding.
    6. Alos make sure the pistons are moving as they should. Lube them in needed.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I took the advise did some double checking and cleaned the rotor with rubbing alcohol, no oh on hand, which I should have done the first time after sanding them. Did a short test ride with no squeal. Fingers are crossed that Sundays ride will produce the same results.

mtbr member

After a 15.8mile loop with 2398' of elevation gain and lost, sure felt like ti was all gain though. No squeal. Thanks again for the reminder to clean the rotors.
    Side note my buddies Rocky Mountain rear brake squeals as soon as the lever is pressed at all. Makes for a great warning to hikers and other bikers, but sure is annoying when he is right on your azz on a DH.