mtbr member
    May 2012

Brake sounds while pedaling

I got a 2012 Giant Anthem 29, with the Avid 9 brakes. The bike sounds like it is lightly braking while I am grinding up steep hills under load. When I spin the wheels, the brake pads do not seem to rub against the rotors?

The sound, seems to come from the front wheel.

What do you all think?
    Thanks
    Bill

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    That is a maxle on the front, correct? Make sure the front wheel is tight and if a QR load the fork when attaching the front wheel. You can follow the work items below checking to see if it is fixed after each step.
    1. Wash them. I use Dawn. They will squawk until they are dry after this. Also, be aware braking power will be greatly reduced until pad material has had a chance to build back up on the rotor.
    2. Center the caliper. If you don’t know how to do this….YouTube
    3. Bleed them. Requires a kit and lots of practice and patience. Many times it takes multiple bleeds to get it. You will bleed them then ride and they will suck again so you will have to bleed them again. This is why they many times develop annoyances on a relatively new bike. It is an absolute ***** to get the air completely out of them…..but when you do they will be relatively trouble free. I worked on my Avids for 6 months and now haven’t touched them in over a year. Same for my wife’s bikes.
    The stress you are putting on the front end when climbing stresses the whole front end and I imagine it is rubbing a bit from the flex. There should be enough space from the pad to the rotor to keep this from happening. The order above is just about the fix for all Avid quirkiness. When they get dirty it causes annoyances. When the caliper gets off center it causes annoyances. When they have air or moisture in the system it causes problems. You will want to get real familiar with these procedures as they are just that finicky.......but when they are on they will stop you like a Live Oak.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks! Yes, I figure the front wheel is flexing. I got a 15mm through axle. I do not think it is a Maxle, though, because the front is Fox, not Rockshox.
    Bill

Just a flesh wound
    If you have any play in the front hub, your pads will rub on the rotor due to the extra movement. Easy to check.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I checked the spokes and a couple were loose. I tightened them a bit. This really helped. The sounds almost completely eliminated the sound. I am going check the spokes again and tighten the ones that were a little loose. Thanks Bill

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I checked the front spokes again after riding last night and at least one spoke is broken. I tried to tighten it and the nipple kept turning in, but the spoke would not tighten. A couple of the other spokes got loose. I just got the wheels trued a few rides ago. Must be all the bumpy cobbly trails I ride! FYI
    Bill

Just a flesh wound
    Quote Originally Posted by Billinsd View Post
    I checked the spokes and a couple were loose. I tightened them a bit. This really helped. The sounds almost completely eliminated the sound. I am going check the spokes again and tighten the ones that were a little loose. Thanks Bill
    Spoke rub sounds just like brake rub. Glad you found it.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Breaking a spoke on a bike that new is very unusual, especially on the front wheel.
    '12 Soma Analog SS
    '10 Transition TransAM
    '07 Felt F1X
    '97 Schwinn Mesa SS
    '89 Fuji Saratoga
    '86 Fuji Club

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The nipple was broken. I took it to the LBS and they replaced it. Bill

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The sound came right back!!! The I rode up a steep, long fire road. The rotors and pads got hot and the sound has never come back? Go figure. Bill

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Billinsd View Post
    I checked the front spokes again after riding last night and at least one spoke is broken. I tried to tighten it and the nipple kept turning in, but the spoke would not tighten. A couple of the other spokes got loose. I just got the wheels trued a few rides ago. Must be all the bumpy cobbly trails I ride! FYI
    Bill
    I would take both wheels to a different bike store and explain the problem with the spokes coming loose and breaking. It sounds like the spoke tension is off. You should not have this problem after getting your wheels trued, especially on a new bike. Get the spoke problem fixed, then see how the brakes react. I ride through rock gardens and don't break spokes or have them come loose.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnman827 View Post
    I would take both wheels to a different bike store and explain the problem with the spokes coming loose and breaking. It sounds like the spoke tension is off. You should not have this problem after getting your wheels trued, especially on a new bike. Get the spoke problem fixed, then see how the brakes react. I ride through rock gardens and don't break spokes or have them come loose.
    I think you misunderstood me or I did not expain myself well.

The LBS that replaced the spoke and trued the wheel was a new LBS. To date the wheels seem fine. I'll see how it goes, though. Thanks Bill