mtbr member
    Mar 2011

brake size upgrade question

so i have a hayes mx-4 brake system ( witch comes with a 160mm rotor) and would like to upgrade to a larger rotor size.. what do i have to do, do i need and adapter for it? or would it even work.. also what size am i able to put on there? thanks

mtbr member
    Unless there's something odd about your brakes, using larger rotors merely requires purchasing and installing the correctly sized adaptors that mount between the frame and caliper on the rear and between the fork and caliper on the front.

Typically, you will have post mounts on both calipers. The front fork will be a post or IS mount, and the rear is usually IS. Using my bike as an example, my Rock Shox forks have a post mount and my frame has an IS mount. To run 160mm rotors, I don't need an adaptor on the front because putting the caliper right on the frame sets it up correctly for a 160mm rotor. I need an IS to post adaptor on the frame to mount a 160mm rotor on the rear wheel. If I want to run 180mm rotors, I need to put a 180mm post to post adaptor on the front and a 180mm IS to post adaptor on the rear.

Check your frame and forks to see what kind of mount you have. If you aren't sure, post pictures. You can get adaptors just about everywhere, I use North Shore Billet.