mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Brake size for rear?

I just ordered the Hope Mini Mono 180mm, for the front. I was wondering if it would advantageous to get the 140mm for the rear to save weight? I have a SuperLight, and my XTR V-Brakes seem to be plenty strong to lock up the rear at anytime.
    I ride mostly cross country.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by piercebrew
    I just ordered the Hope Mini Mono 180mm, for the front. I was wondering if it would advantageous to get the 140mm for the rear to save weight? I have a SuperLight, and my XTR V-Brakes seem to be plenty strong to lock up the rear at anytime.
    I ride mostly cross country.
    Thanks.
    Should be fine to run the 140 in the rear unless you spend most of rides doing 2000+ feet descents, or if you make it a habit of dragging your rear brake alot. From what I hear the 180 in the front is definitely the right choice.

I just bought a similar setup with the old Hopes (185, 145) and am hoping (ha ha) that it works out for me on my Blur as well.

I love Pisgah
    I run'm. Have 2 NRS rides with 140mm rears. One with Hayes, the other with B4Pros. Also have used a 140mm with some Avids. Will be running them again on my HT. 3 rears all with 140mm, and for 4 fronts with 160s, one having a Stans alloy for race only. Swap then all around 3 fronts at the moment, and soon to be 3 rears. The 140s fine. It feels about the same really in power and modulation. It WILL glaze sooner, but its no problem if the riders smart. 6 races last season, and several 2000'+ descent in N Ga, Pisgah NC, etc. I use the rear alot for control, say while I drive thru the apex of a turn I'll feather the rear as I pedal thru so the front will not push as badly without me shifting badly needed weight from the rear to the front. This is why I haven't gone to a rear alum 140...yet.

Oh yeah, the weight savings...most good 160s are 117ish gm or so. Steel 140s are 88ish gms or there abouts. Alum 160s 54gms 140s 37gms. I run alternating ti/alum rotorbolts as well, again no probs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    I run'm. Have 2 NRS rides with 140mm rears. One with Hayes, the other with B4Pros. Also have used a 140mm with some Avids. Will be running them again on my HT. 3 rears all with 140mm, and for 4 fronts with 160s, one having a Stans alloy for race only. Swap then all around 3 fronts at the moment, and soon to be 3 rears. The 140s fine. It feels about the same really in power and modulation. It WILL glaze sooner, but its no problem if the riders smart. 6 races last season, and several 2000'+ descent in N Ga, Pisgah NC, etc. I use the rear alot for control, say while I drive thru the apex of a turn I'll feather the rear as I pedal thru so the front will not push as badly without me shifting badly needed weight from the rear to the front. This is why I haven't gone to a rear alum 140...yet.

Oh yeah, the weight savings...most good 160s are 117ish gm or so. Steel 140s are 88ish gms or there abouts. Alum 160s 54gms 140s 37gms. I run alternating ti/alum rotorbolts as well, again no probs.

Duckman, Where do you get your ti/alum rotor bolts?

I love Pisgah
    Everywhere sorta. Meaning, some from SRP, some from Racebolts.com, some from Cambria. Alot of these tho, were Cambria ti and alum waterbottle bolts, at least for this subject. Yes, they are the same. Buy the shortest ti ones, like 8mm i think(hell, it may be 5mm). The alums come longer, like 10-15mm or so. I ground off most of mine shorter, otherwise they stick out the backside, which is a waste.

Its taken over a year of bits at a time, but all 3 bikes are almost 100% ti or alum fasteners. That includes an all alum frm isis bb and crankbolts, the other an actiontec ti bb with ti bolts, 65mm ti shockbolts and the flange locknuts, suspension pivot pin hardware, all brakewear, etc. Figure its taken about $500 to do it, and lots of that was on the cheap, like Ebay, generics from Cambria, etc. The humanity you say...Yes indeedy...

the otherside view with some B4SLs. The magnesium model.

Front Stans setup with the mag setup. This is sweet.