mtbr member

brake rubbing against the side

my front disc break seems to rub against the side where the tire isnt perfectly trued.. but it's very close... can I adjust the disc break.. or do I just need a PERFECTLY trued tire? It seems like I need to move the whole disc break over a tiny amount b/c the disc doesnt run perfectly through the middle. help...

mtbr member
    true the rotor....

mtbr member

how

Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    true the rotor....
    never done it before.. have no idea how to ... can you explain more or show some diagrams...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Same...

Quote Originally Posted by ImWithBusey
    my front disc break seems to rub against the side where the tire isnt perfectly trued.. but it's very close... can I adjust the disc break.. or do I just need a PERFECTLY trued tire? It seems like I need to move the whole disc break over a tiny amount b/c the disc doesnt run perfectly through the middle. help...
    We had the same problem with som Avid BBDBs (new bike, new here). I couldnt get them just right, even with instructions from the internet, finally after a couple of hours, they stopped rubbing except for 1/8 of a rotation, we left a little constant rubbing in (verrrry little) so that the pad wears flat with the rotor with some short riding (without the constant rub, it would rub flat only after much braking). Stick with it, look online, and dont sweat the small stuff is all I can say.

mtbr member

Where?

I have looked and I can't seem to find anything useful.. can someone send me a direct link?

Ont-Trail-Rider

ditto

i am having the same problem with my front. hayes hmx1 mech. i have tried to adjust it using the no tool part of the break, and i can't make the pad go back any farther now then it is, yet its still rubbing (only the one sides pad) against the disc) so hopefully I can find something in these forums to correct it. The back is fine which leads me to belive I use my back break more and must have wore it down a bit.???

Anyhow if you find something let me know.
    Cheers!

Fat Boy Deluxe

Disc Brake FAQ

I have looked and I can't seem to find anything useful.. can someone send me a direct link?
    http://www.mtbr.com/techtalks/brakes...html#operation

Scroll down until you get to the section entitled :: What can I do with warped rotors?

DT

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

what kind?

I googled "Avid BBDB adjustment, and there was a PDF file on the first page of hits. what kind of brakes do you have?

Ont-Trail-Rider

myself

I am running HMX-1 mech. I was able to get info on them in .pdf format off Hayes website. They are easy to adjust, however the dial is... let's say dialed as far back as I can to adjust the pad in question. I am thinking it could have been setup wrong possibly. But I know the guy at LBS pretty good, so he is going to check it out.

Back MX-1 mech has worked great. And the breaks in general have done their job. But when I pedal, I don't want the break working against me either.
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    i assume you adjusted the pads properly when first installed...correct?

anywho, when my rotor gets a little out of whack, i just use my thumbs to 'ben' the rotor back to norm. then clean.

Ont-Trail-Rider

they

Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    i assume you adjusted the pads properly when first installed...correct?

anywho, when my rotor gets a little out of whack, i just use my thumbs to 'ben' the rotor back to norm. then clean.
    MX1's come stock on my bike. Thus I would have to assume and trust the LBS set them up right. However mistakes can be made i guess. As long as they can set it right.
    Cheers!

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Spacer Washer

I have Shimano M-525 on my Enduro and have rubbing problems on my rear brake all the time. I read the manual, which tells you to:
    - remove the tire,
    - position the brake lever horizontal to the ground,
    - open the reservoir cap,
    - push the pads back inside the brake,
    - reassemble.
    This should "reset" the pads so they don't rub.

Yesterday I took my bike out for a test run to try out my new Vanilla 125 RL. I noticed significant amounts of rubbing on my front brake for the first time ever. For some reason the brake is positioned a little too far to the outside of the bike on the new fork. I tried the same process mentioned above to no avail. So I went to Home Depot and picked up some thin stainless washers. I positioned the washers in between the fork and the brake, thus moving the brake towards the wheel. In the end I have to file them down a bit but was able to get the rotor nearly centered inside the brake. Hope this works out, should know by this evening.