mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Brake rub after crash

First of all, I ride a 2010 29er Rockhopper SL Comp with a Tora fork and Juicy 3's. A week ago I was abruptly stopped by a rock at high speed on what I thought was a clear trail. I have recovered, but my bike has not. The front wheel was knocked out of true, the rotor bent and the QR skewer was bent badly. I brought the bike into my LBS and they trued the wheel and rotor and replaced the skewer. Everything worked pretty well in the shop although they were not able to completely true the wheel. I then went for a ride and had very bad brake rub. It seems that every time I take the wheel off to put the bike on my rack and then remount the wheel, the brake rub comes back and I have to adjust the brake to get rid of it. I took it to the shop a second time with the same scenario. The bike shop kinda blew it off and made it seem like I was just not mounting the wheel correctly, however they did try to true the wheel again and adjust the brakes. Before my crash, I never had any problems whatsoever.

I am wondering if I did some damage to the fork or the axle. The wheel just does not seem to mount as smoothly into the fork as it used to. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am bringing the bike back to the shop tomorrow, however I am leery since after two visits, the bike is still in the same condition.

official eMpTyBRain
    Take your bike to another reputable shop for another inspection/adjust/fix...
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Save Jesus
    This is a common problem with disc brakes in that each time you mount the wheel, the rotor is in a slightly different position. It helps to clamp down the QR the exact same tightness each time. Otherwise, giving a slight tweak to the brakes each time is something to get used to. It happens to me all the time.

mtbr member
    The fork might have taken a hit and bent a little. Your LBS and Beanbag might be right.

Mount wheel. Tighten QR. Check to see if centered. Spin wheel.
    Rub? Repeat.
    No Rub? Done.

mtbr member
    how did the skewer get bent without damaging the axle?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    No matter how many times I mount the wheel and attempt to center I still get significant break rub until I adjust the brake position. As for how the skewer can be bent and not the axle, I am not sure. I'm new to mountain biking and have never had to deal with this before. How do I check for axle damage? My LBS did not mention anything about a damaged axle. The skewer was bent at where it meets the nut.

Never trust a fart
    Skewers can get damaged quite easily without occuring any type of damage to the axle itself. I don't know how many bikes come in with nice smooth, well adjusted hubs, but bent skewers.

beanbag is correct. Try playing with your QR tension. This can have an adverse affect on brake rub. This is why I leave my front wheel on as much as possible when transporting my bike.