Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Brake rotors can bite back. WARNING: GRAPHIC

This is one Im sure is unique. Today I was tuning my fork. my rebound adjustment is at the bottom of my left fork. I hopped of my bike to turn it. I was squatting beside the bike, right hand up on the seat and left hand turning the knob with my thumb and middle finger. My index finger was just dangling there, not being used. No biggie right? I lost my balance just alittle, and the bike rolled foward not even a foot. as that happened, my index finger slid into one of the slots in my rotor, and my finger stopped against the caliper, the rotor kept turning. Severed finger just behind the nail. It thankfully was still held on by a small piece of skin untill I got to the hospital. it was reattached succsesfully. The surgon said I may never have a nail again, and a gnarly scar, but feeking should come back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Nice!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Never Forget 9-11
    Talk about a freak accident. Hope you heal quickly.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Ouch!

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    **** dude that photo made me cringe a little bit, that's a bummer of an accident for sure! I was recently thinking of how my rotors are razors. I was riding through a field and I took notice of when the rotor sliced a small bush 3/4 of an inch thick rather easily. Unless I'm working on my drivetrain, I usually take my wheels off when working on my bike and just put it on the work stand. I do feel a bit safer. There are a number of places to get hurt while working on a bicycle, as silly as many of them may seem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    **** dude that photo made me cringe a little bit, that's a bummer of an accident for sure! I was recently thinking of how my rotors are razors. I was riding through a field and I took notice of when the rotor sliced a small bush 3/4 of an inch thick rather easily. Unless I'm working on my drivetrain, I usually take my wheels off when working on my bike and just put it on the work stand. I do feel a bit safer. There are a number of places to get hurt while working on a bicycle, as silly as many of them may seem.
    Now that I think about it, have you ever had to manualy remove a stick that gets caught in your rotor? No, the ***** gets the guitenne!

wyrd bi ful rd
    you heal up quick now ... i am not sure if gloves will help you there but i try to wear them as much as possible even though they are a pain when you are handling spacers and screws etc

mtbr member
    that sucks! good luck!
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    holy friggin ouch!!!
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    holy friggin ouch!!!
    x 2.....

mtbr member
    Good Gawd. I had a hard time reading what happened let alone seeing that pic. Yuk. Heal up. Hopefully you weren't too far away from car/home after that happened.

Single Speed Junkie
    Sorry to hear about this. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Jeez, I hope for a speedy recovery for you. I'm glad that you posted this as it does heighten the need for all who use disc brakes to be careful around moving parts. Probably many on the forum who have suffered at least a pinched finger, or other injury while working on bike. Again, hope you are back up and biking soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have twice had my finger bitten by the nastyness of brake rotors. Nowhere nearly as bad as the OP, but it still hurts like hell.

Hoe you heal up and keep yer fingers out of the rotors.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Heal up soon. Hope you nail comes back, you don't know how much they do until there gone...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    hope you heal up well + nail growth. i know now not to place my hands anywhere near my rotors when doing trail side adjustments and repairs.

mtbr member
    Hope you heal well! Even though it's kind of a freak accident, the heads up is much appreciated. You may have saved someone else from the same type of injury.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm liking coaster brakes after that pic!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Ouch!!

mtbr member
    Doubt you get the feeling back took the top of my middle finger off with a stanley blade lost total feeling at the top of it. Hope you heal well they pizz blood big time dont they had about five visits to A&E ,Stanley blades and my finger tips dont mix lol.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had almost the same thing happen back when I bought my first set of Hayes disc brakes in like 2000-2001. I was actually trying to center the caliper when I inadvertantely slipped my index finger into the spinning rotor. I'm now missing about 1/4" off my index finger.

Rotors are like rotating guillotines. I still get freaked out when I see people adjusting their brake calipers.

Be careful with the kids also. I found my son spinning my front wheel while the bike was on the stand once. He was poking his finger at the cool looking rotor just before I grabbed his hand. Freaked me out.

BE CAREFUL when your adjusting the calipers and WATCH THE KIDS around spinning rotors.

Hope you heel up quick.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    how many of you wore safety glasses when bleeding brake fluid. As I tapped the syringe when trying to get the bubbles to rise a drop flicked off and hit me square in the middle of my glasses. Definitely would have gone in my eye if not for the glasses.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Speedy recovery

mtbr member
    hope it heals well for you
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

mtbr member
    Holy ****, I would not have seen that coming either. Thanks for the warning. Hope you're recovery is speedy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast