Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Gumnut Peddler

No good Brake/Rotor sound at specific speeds

Fitted up new wheels to my bike a few months ago. No dramas.

Recently my bike has developed a problem where when I am riding at speeds faster than 32km/hr (20 miles) the front end starts to 'ching/humm' with every rotation of the wheel. The faster I go, the more audible it becomes.

Speeds slower than this, no problem/noise whatsoever.

I have checked the clearance of the rotors and it doesn't appear to be rubbing or have any visible wobble. There is no brake drag and the wheel when spun by hand will spin for ages. The brakes are also working fine, but this noise is really starting to annoy me. The only thing that makes it stop is by putting the brakes on or dropping my speed. Neither of which I want to do during my sprints.

Has anyone experienced this before? It aggravates me on every training ride and I need to end it

Brakes are Juicy 7 with organic pads. Pads are new, brakes have been rebuilt. Rotor is a hayes V7 from memory.

Cheers
    Burning fat, not oil.

mtbr member
    How did you determine it's the brake/rotor? are the spokes tensioned properly after a few months of use?

Gumnut Peddler
    I just figured it was the brake/rotor due to the fact that it is a similar sound to when you have a small warp and it strikes with each rotation.

Spoke tension never even crossed my mind. Might do a quick lube test tomorrow and see
    Burning fat, not oil.

mtbr member

Brake/Rotor sound at specific speeds

Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    How did you determine it's the brake/rotor? are the spokes tensioned properly after a few months of use?
    I may be incorrect, but spoke tension shouldn't affect the rotor in any way. The rotor is directly mounted to the hub, which is mounted to the dropouts, so the only thing spokes should address are wheel straightness. I had his same issue with crappy tektro rotors, they were slightly out of true and heat development made them even worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2013 Rockhopper 29- The hot rod fun bike
    2013 Stumpy HT Comp 29- The racin' machine

Gumnut Peddler
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenzobear View Post
    I may be incorrect, but spoke tension shouldn't affect the rotor in any way. The rotor is directly mounted to the hub, which is mounted to the dropouts, so the only thing spokes should address are wheel straightness. I had his same issue with crappy tektro rotors, they were slightly out of true and heat development made them even worse.
    You are correct about how the rotor mounts. BUT I could possibly be incorrect with where the sound is coming from, hence the spoke tension comment
    Burning fat, not oil.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenzobear View Post
    IF in fact it is the rotor hence why i enquired about it. if spoke tension is on the loose side it can easily effect the hub-rotor etc.

That being said audible noises and their harmonics can come from numerous sources hence another reason why i asked how he determined it was the rotor/brakes.

official eMpTyBRain
    Sounds like there is some flex going on somewhere since you only hear it when you are on the bike.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

I <3 dirt

What hubs and what axle type up front?
    It could be minor hub/bearing play or the axle in the fork.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

Gumnut Peddler
    Running Stans 3.30 hubs with the 9 QR
    I will try and get a video up this weekend of the noise it makes. The front basically goes 'ching ching' 'ching ching' 'ching ching'
    Burning fat, not oil.

I <3 dirt

I'd check if your hub is tight and maybe snug the qr up a bit.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Do a test ride with the front pads removed. make sure you don't accidently squeeze front brake by securing lever by taping something between handle and brake lever.

Ted
    Ted in real life
    I had a similar problem with BB7 brakes. It was due to running knobby tires on the road at certain speeds. I guess a vibration would be at the right frequency to cause the pads to contact the disks. I never noticed it on trails probably because I was going slower or the trail was rougher with its own vibration pattern. I switched to smooth tires for road rides and the noise went away.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinderz View Post
    Fitted up new wheels to my bike a few months ago. No dramas.

Recently my bike has developed a problem where when I am riding at speeds faster than 32km/hr (20 miles) the front end starts to 'ching/humm' with every rotation of the wheel. The faster I go, the more audible it becomes.

Speeds slower than this, no problem/noise whatsoever.

I have checked the clearance of the rotors and it doesn't appear to be rubbing or have any visible wobble. There is no brake drag and the wheel when spun by hand will spin for ages. The brakes are also working fine, but this noise is really starting to annoy me. The only thing that makes it stop is by putting the brakes on or dropping my speed. Neither of which I want to do during my sprints.

Has anyone experienced this before? It aggravates me on every training ride and I need to end it

Brakes are Juicy 7 with organic pads. Pads are new, brakes have been rebuilt. Rotor is a hayes V7 from memory.

Cheers

I know that "ching ching" problem all too well. Had it on my bike a while back.

When I first bumped into the issue of brakes looking to be adjusted and sounds only starting after certain speeds I was running 203mm rotors without spiders (regular cheap-o Shimano Alivio level) and rolling on 2.4" Nobby Nic tires.
    After struggling with the problem for a while I concluded that the issue was caused by resonance in the rotor, despite being tightened properly to the hub.
    Large diameter rotor was resonating enough to occasionally hit the brake pads at certain speeds and it only occurred with heavily knobbed tires. Smoother tires didn't have the same issue.
    Also the resonance was more noticeable at corners while riding on pavement.

Now I only run rotors that have a spider structure because they are considerably stiffer and don't resonate at high speeds even with rougher tread patterns.

I would check that the rotors are tightened properly and the brake is adjusted in the center so you could avoid the occasional hit on both sides. If that doesn't fix it, then I would try stiffer rotors. Or smaller size, but that would affect braking power too. (Smaller diameter is stiffer than bigger ones.)

Hope this tip is at least partly useful.

mtbr member

Do your spokes pass very close to the caliper body? I had to shim out my rotor I order to move the caliper out so my spokes wouldn't rub. It may not rub when the wheel spins slowly but when it flexes it could.

mtbr member
    Resonating rotor. Only some rotors will do it. To my knowledge Coda and Hayes rotors will not, but Formula and Avid will. Depends on the tires as well, as it is influenced by vibration of the tread. Usually my incidences of such were around 12-15 mph with mud tread, much higher speed if semi slick was used. Motivation to ride above the threshold
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

On your left.
    Jan 2004

OP - are you absolutely sure the rotor is dead true? Verified how? Any warpage will cause this issue.
    M

Gumnut Peddler
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated View Post
    OP - are you absolutely sure the rotor is dead true? Verified how? Any warpage will cause this issue.
    I have visually inspected the front rotor by spinning and looking down through the caliper and also front on and cannot see any wobble. Spinning slowly by hand and looking through the caliper I cannot see or hear any contact with the pads.
    Burning fat, not oil.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

I have visually inspected the front rotor by spinning and looking down through the caliper and also front on and cannot see any wobble. Spinning slowly by hand and looking through the caliper I cannot see or hear any contact with the pads.
    That's good, but you can also try to check by slowly sliding your finger, tire lever, etc closer to the rotor while spinning.
    You can also try to clean the rotors with isopropyl alcohol and maybe sand the rotors and pads and redo the bed-in process.
    M

Gumnut Peddler
    I try to avoid touching my rotors with my fingers. GoPro is now charged, so hoping to get some footage on tomorrows training ride.
    Burning fat, not oil.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I try to avoid touching my rotors with my fingers. GoPro is now charged, so hoping to get some footage on tomorrows training ride.
    kinda interested in this.. never heard of this issue... wondering if its something beside the rotor? the vid might help see if you can mount on the fork or head tube... pointing down at the brake....?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated View Post
    That's good, but you can also try to check by slowly sliding your finger, tire lever, etc closer to the rotor while spinning.
    You can also try to clean the rotors with isopropyl alcohol and maybe sand the rotors and pads and redo the bed-in process.
    sandpaper/emory cloth transfer adhesives to said parts and make for not a great braking surface even after being cleaned with IO or brake cleaner.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I only ever have this noise when I've got the rotor rubbing very slightly on the pads. As slow speeds the energy transfer with the contact is so low its hard to tell you've got problems....but as your speed increases so does the friction/energy release - and hey presto you've got audible effects.

The second contributing factor is you on the bike....and the flex that the extra weight causes. You could set up the brake perfectly with no rub, but have rub when you're riding....now THIS effect I've seen a lot - especially during cornering.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

Gumnut Peddler
    Here is a link to the video. This is the closest I could get the cam to the caliper.

Noise - YouTube
    Burning fat, not oil.

mtbr member
    That actually sounds like loose metal rattling against something, not any sort of rubbing... Check that everything is tightened down, including the adapter and caliper.

Gumnut Peddler
    Caliper is tight and same again for the rotor. Checked them last night. Will check the hub today
    Last edited by Grinderz; 04-19-2013 at 03:59 PM.
    Burning fat, not oil.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast