mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Brake rotor adapters (BB7 to Elixir R's)

I just bought a new Kona Unit with BB7's 185 front rotor and 160 rear. I'm upgrading to Elixir R SL's. I'm wanting to upgrade from Ebay and if I get a good deal on just the lever/caliper I was wondering if the rotor adapters are interchangeable with these two calipers? Thanks.

Big Paws on a Puppy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonByers
    I just bought a new Kona Unit with BB7's 185 front rotor and 160 rear. I'm upgrading to Elixir R SL's. I'm wanting to upgrade from Ebay and if I get a good deal on just the lever/caliper I was wondering if the rotor adapters are interchangeable with these two calipers? Thanks.
    I'm currently running a set of elixir R SL's with a set of adapters and cps bolts/washers I swapped off a set of BB7's and they work great. The only reason I swapped is because the BB7's didn't fit my Inbred frame. I didn't find the Elixir to be much of an upgrade. I wish I had spent that money on a better wheelset. Anyways..... ymmv.
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the help. The reason I'm upgrading to these is for the ease of the lever pull. I have a pretty rough downhill section on my home trail and with this new rigid bike it's a bear to have two fingers on the brake lever and hold on to the bars too. I can keep up with my geared friends till I get to this part and then it takes me a couple miles to catch up. I'm hoping the easy lever pull will let me keep a better hold on the bars therefore help me have a little more control. A buddy of mine has these on his stump jumper and I love his brakes. It's bling too, I can't lie! If it doesn't seem like it's an upgrade I'll keep them for a future build. Thanks again.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Thanks for the help. The reason I'm upgrading to these is for the ease of the lever pull. I have a pretty rough downhill section on my home trail and with this new rigid bike it's a bear to have two fingers on the brake lever and hold on to the bars too. I can keep up with my geared friends till I get to this part and then it takes me a couple miles to catch up. I'm hoping the easy lever pull will let me keep a better hold on the bars therefore help me have a little more control. A buddy of mine has these on his stump jumper and I love his brakes. It's bling too, I can't lie! If it doesn't seem like it's an upgrade I'll keep them for a future build. Thanks again.
    No differences in the current Avid brackets.

All of my BB7s have lower lever effort than any hydro I have tried. All in the setup of the BB7 (adjustable. Hydros are not).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    All of my BB7s have lower lever effort than any hydro I have tried. All in the setup of the BB7 (adjustable. Hydros are not).
    +1. BB7's with Avid Ultimate levers will blow your mind.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ok thanks guys. Yeah I'm not saying my brakes are bad at all. Actually my buddy with the Elixirs rode my other bike and on his first stop he damn near went over the handlebars. It has BB7's. I'm not scared of maintenance and adjusting at all but I just can't get these dialed in like that bike but they're still pretty good. Also I'm using Avid FR5 levers on both bikes, would the Speed Dial's be a much better lever? What about the Speed Dial Ti and different besides the Ti part? I just checked on the Ultimates and I just can't swing $200 for just the levers. Thanks guys, I think I will scrap the Elixir idea for now and make my BB7's better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Ok thanks guys. Yeah I'm not saying my brakes are bad at all. Actually my buddy with the Elixirs rode my other bike and on his first stop he damn near went over the handlebars. It has BB7's. I'm not scared of maintenance and adjusting at all but I just can't get these dialed in like that bike but they're still pretty good. Also I'm using Avid FR5 levers on both bikes, would the Speed Dial's be a much better lever? What about the Speed Dial Ti and different besides the Ti part? I just checked on the Ultimates and I just can't swing $200 for just the levers. Thanks guys, I think I will scrap the Elixir idea for now and make my BB7's better.
    The biggest thing with the SD7 levers and above is the speed dial adjuster. It gives you one more way to adjust the brake feel. SD7s are okay though the newer models do feel a bit "cheaper" than the older 7s. The Ti's are nicer, tighter bushings etc., they're a nice lever.

I've got a word document set up guide I've worked up over the years for BB7s. PM me with your email address if you'd like a copy.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    The biggest thing with the SD7 levers and above is the speed dial adjuster. It gives you one more way to adjust the brake feel. SD7s are okay though the newer models do feel a bit "cheaper" than the older 7s. The Ti's are nicer, tighter bushings etc., they're a nice lever.

I've got a word document set up guide I've worked up over the years for BB7s. PM me with your email address if you'd like a copy.

Good Dirt
    I am interested in your word doc too, pm sent.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    You do not even need Speeddial levers. Just a good setup. full length housing, easy bends,Teflon coated cables (no lube), remove the lever return springs (just adds to the pull effort), adjust the return springs on the calipers.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common