Thread: Brake questions

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Brake questions

I just purchased Shimano SLX brakes to get rid of the Avids that came stock. Is it very difficult to install brakes? Is there any good websites that show how to install brakes?

mtbr member
    Very easy. A quick google search pulled up the tech doc that should come with the brakes you are about to install.

Google is your friend

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks. I did do a search but wanted to make sure I had the correct information.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hi guys,

Ive just got an GT 2012 Avalanche 4.0, but the disc brake at the rear seems to be rubbing a little.
    is this normal at first?

If not what do i do?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge1986 View Post
    Hi guys,

Ive just got an GT 2012 Avalanche 4.0, but the disc brake at the rear seems to be rubbing a little.
    is this normal at first?

If not what do i do?
    Check to make sure that the rotor is true. If not, then true it (Pinkbike has a good tech Tuesday on this topic).

If that still does not fix the problem, then you will need to realign the caliper. This involves loosening the bolts securing the caliper, centering it on the rotor and tightening the bolts again. This sounds simple, but depending on the brake system you have, can be infuriating.

Try the rotor first. If that does not solve it, come back with more information on your brake system and we can see if we can be of more assistance.

Good luck.