mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Brake "pulsing" problem

I have a set of Avid Code 5s, the rear brake "pulses" when I apply it at speed, it's driving me nuts and I think it makes me skid unexpectedly sometimes. Has anyone had this problem and know how to fix besides a new rotor?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Has it always pulsed? Are the pads hitting way to low on the rotors spokes?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Is your rotor bent or warped? Put a sheet of white paper underneath your caliper and spin the wheel. Look down from above your caliper as you are spinning the wheel, and if the white that you can see between the rotor and pad varies, the rotor is bent. You can fix that by bending the bent area of the rotor in the proper direction in *small* increments until the rotor is reasonably true again. Pliers work ok, just don't mar your rotor.

...idios...
    Sticky piston or misaligned caliper. Or, with Avid, a combination of the two.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Also check for...

a dark spot on the rotor. Rotor contamination in a small area can cause a pulse in the brake when it is applied. The dark spot will indicate that more brake pad material is being deposited in that particular area as the brake gabs harder at that point. If you find an area of heavy deposit on the rotor, simply sand lightly (whole rotor) and clean with alcohol.

Don't neglect the items the others have mentioned. They can also cause brake pulse as well. This is just one more thing to check for.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Meh.
    In addition to the suggested... Check the fastener torque. Check that there is no play in the hub or any pivots. Check for uneven pad wear.