mtbr member
    Oct 2007

brake problem XTR 965's

Hey,

I am hoping someone could help me out... My rear brake has a lot of "slack" in it and just isnt stopping like it used to. There is a large amount of play when i pull it before it has contact, took it to the shop and they replaced the calipers, and after one ride the slack is there again. Best way I can describe it. Anyone know how to tighten up the brake and/or what could be wrong? Thanks!

T.W.O.
    If you replaced the caliper so the brake is properly bled already, problem may be in the master cylinder. May be fail/worn seal somewhere in there.

Never trust a fart
    Did they replace the pads as well? Or did they swap over the pads from the old caliper to the new?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It may have been a bad bleed, but XTR 965 brakes don't have the best reputation. One thing I tried after years of frustration that worked surprisingly well was to use a syringe and tubing to squirt a little bit of the brake fluid back through the bleed valve for a tiny bit of positive pressure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I was having a problem on my xtr's as well. New pads and bleeding the lines didn't seem to solve it, but it seem to help when I ran the stroke adjustment screw in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    thanks all, and sorry for the delayed reply. Yeah, they replaced the pads and the calibers, I actually made a significant improvement just by locking the pads up and reopening them, and I removed some shims

Members who have read this thread: 0