mtbr member

Brake Posts Too Short? (Figured It Out)

I just got some Shimano Deore V-Brakes and found something odd.
    I took the current linear pull brakes off the fork (they worked/mounted fine, just moving them to my SS.)
    When I put the Deore brakes on the post, the post doesn't protrude out slightly beyond flush like the other brakes did.
    I eyeballed the two brakes and the Deore is a bit thicker where the post goes through.
    What is the deal? I thought that linear pull brakes were pretty much they same as far as mounting goes, and that the posts were the same for everything.

Edit:
    Hopefully this will be of help to someone in the future.
    Upon closer inspection, I realized that the difference is this: My old brakes, somewhat inexpensive, has a stationery bushing that rotates on the post, hence the need for the post to be ever so slightly longer, thereby giving the bolt a place to bottom out on so the brake arm can move freely.
    The Deore brakes have a bushing that is the pivot point. So the bolt is shaped and sized in a way that it tightens against the bushing in the brake arm.
    Last edited by CharleyGnarlyP290; 03-03-2012 at 07:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Maybe you need these?
    Loose Screws Bicycle Small Parts Bicycle Parts for the Home Mechanic 83E9821&id=122083321781

Item #SH 83E9821: This standard (extra long) front non recessed pivot bolt can be used to convert a model Ultegra 6400 single pivot brake to a "non recessed nut" configuration; also fits 105 model 1050 single pivot brakes. Included in the set are the pivot bolt, aluminum radius washer, flat washer and external nut. NEW old stock.