mtbr member

Brake Posts Too Short? (Figured It Out)

I just got some Shimano Deore V-Brakes and found something odd.
    I took the current linear pull brakes off the fork (they worked/mounted fine, just moving them to my SS.)
    When I put the Deore brakes on the post, the post doesn't protrude out slightly beyond flush like the other brakes did.
    I eyeballed the two brakes and the Deore is a bit thicker where the post goes through.
    What is the deal? I thought that linear pull brakes were pretty much they same as far as mounting goes, and that the posts were the same for everything.

Hopefully this will be of help to someone in the future.
    Upon closer inspection, I realized that the difference is this: My old brakes, somewhat inexpensive, has a stationery bushing that rotates on the post, hence the need for the post to be ever so slightly longer, thereby giving the bolt a place to bottom out on so the brake arm can move freely.
    The Deore brakes have a bushing that is the pivot point. So the bolt is shaped and sized in a way that it tightens against the bushing in the brake arm.
    Last edited by CharleyGnarlyP290; 03-03-2012 at 07:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Maybe you need these?
    Loose Screws Bicycle Small Parts Bicycle Parts for the Home Mechanic 83E9821&id=122083321781

Item #SH 83E9821: This standard (extra long) front non recessed pivot bolt can be used to convert a model Ultegra 6400 single pivot brake to a "non recessed nut" configuration; also fits 105 model 1050 single pivot brakes. Included in the set are the pivot bolt, aluminum radius washer, flat washer and external nut. NEW old stock.