mtbr member
    Apr 2010

New question here. Brake pads stuck after transport.

I have Magura Julie HPs and they are on a breand new Racer X with 4 rides on it. To transport the bike to my local trail I detached the front wheel and laid the bike down in the back seat of my car (as I've done the past few days w/o a problem). Today, about an hour after getting home I went to get my bike out and the front wheel wont go back on the fork because the brake pads are too close. The front brake feels fine, sounds fine, and I cant see any obstruction between the brake pads that would interfere with their functionality.

Any idea what this could be?

In Magura's manual it says to always place a spacer between the pads and rubber band the lever to the 'engaged' position for transport if the front tire is taken off.

Any idea how to fix it?

Thank you.

ballbuster

Push them back in

Quote Originally Posted by woodthegreat
    I have Magura Julie HPs and they are on a breand new Racer X with 4 rides on it. To transport the bike to my local trail I detached the front wheel and laid the bike down in the back seat of my car (as I've done the past few days w/o a problem). Today, about an hour after getting home I went to get my bike out and the front wheel wont go back on the fork because the brake pads are too close. The front brake feels fine, sounds fine, and I cant see any obstruction between the brake pads that would interfere with their functionality.

Any idea what this could be?

In Magura's manual it says to always place a spacer between the pads and rubber band the lever to the 'engaged' position for transport if the front tire is taken off.

Any idea how to fix it?

Thank you.
    This sorta thing happens all the time with hydraulic brakes. You basically push the pads back in with the bike upright. Do not push them back in with the bike upside down!!

Also, apply pressure evenly or the pistons will get a slight bit crooked and lock in place. If this happens, don't force them. Apply the brake lever to pop them back into the normal square straight position. I use a clean flat screwdriver or a tire lever to do this. Be careful with any tools with edges, because they will chip up the braking surfaces of your pads. If you can remove the pads, it makes it easier.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    WOOT!

That sure did the trick my friend. I used a non-serrated butter knife.

Teach a man to fish, etc...

THANK YOU!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by woodthegreat
    WOOT!

That sure did the trick my friend. I used a non-serrated butter knife.

Teach a man to fish, etc...

THANK YOU!

I prefer the "Tell a man an answer, and he will fix that problem today. Teach a man to use search, and he will fix all his problems."

Disc brake FAQ upper right hand corner of the forum above the Photo Caption Contest