mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Brake Pads Rubbing Rotor Only at High Speeds

Hi guys, so at relatively mid to high speed (30 gears total), the front of my brake pads would rub against the rotor. It's a partial rub and not constant, but it's very annoying. At low speeds, there is absolutely no rub at all.

I was told that this happens because the frame bends slightly at high speeds etc...

I have a RockShox Recon Gold TK 28 and Avid Elixir 3 brakes.

Is there anything I can do to solve this besides buying other brand of brakes as Elixir 3 brake pads offer little to no clearance for the rotors?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    bump for help

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    have you tried to true your rotor?

this or the quick release tightening imo.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    if it's rear triangle flex, you can try to tighten the qr even more as mentioned above.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by Fachiro1 View Post
    if it's rear triangle flex, you can try to tighten the qr even more as mentioned above.
    Would rear triangle flex affect the front at all? I'll try to tighten the QR even more tonight and see how that works.

Rotors are trued. They do not rub when I spin them around.

I'd have to be able to spin the front wheel really fast to stimulate the rubbing that I get at mid-high speed... So far i dont have a way of spinning the front wheel fast enough .....

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BobaX View Post
    Would rear triangle flex affect the front at all? I'll try to tighten the QR even more tonight and see how that works.

Rotors are trued. They do not rub when I spin them around. this doesn't mean they are very true, did you check with some tool? sometimes pad clearance make slightly bent rotor work good but rub...

I'd have to be able to spin the front wheel really fast to stimulate the rubbing that I get at mid-high speed... So far i dont have a way of spinning the front wheel fast enough .....

the frame or forks can have a play when loaded (your weight changes slightly frame geometry)

i guess giving more clearance to pads can also work. depending on your brake setup, you might compensate for longer pull on the levers. i have by the past overtightened the QR on my drswiss carbon, rigid forks to avoid this.

it was not useful anymore after recentering the calipers tho

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 3200 View Post
    the frame or forks can have a play when loaded (your weight changes slightly frame geometry)

i guess giving more clearance to pads can also work. depending on your brake setup, you might compensate for longer pull on the levers. i have by the past overtightened the QR on my drswiss carbon, rigid forks to avoid this.

it was not useful anymore after recentering the calipers tho
    Sorry couldn't fully understand what you wrote.

You overtightened the QR and it solved this issue?

I have Avid Elixir 3 brakes, and the brake pads for these are VERY close to the rotor. There's barely any clearance. So fiddling with the brakes would not work in this situation.

Could I break the QR if I overtighten it?

mtbr member
    I think he means that your fork is flexing, which is causing the pad to rub. At low speeds you generally won't be side loading the fork as much as when you are at higher speeds.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BobaX View Post
    Sorry couldn't fully understand what you wrote.

You overtightened the QR and it solved this issue?

I have Avid Elixir 3 brakes, and the brake pads for these are VERY close to the rotor. There's barely any clearance. So fiddling with the brakes would not work in this situation.

Could I break the QR if I overtighten it?
    oh sorry if i wasn't clear i don't practice english anymore besides forums.

i was saying the forks can bend at speeds as above poster decoded

also, i was trying to say this:

i don't know this brake system, but can't you set the caliper or brake lever to get a longer pull (i mean to set the pads to have more distance when resting)?
    i know the pads auto adjust, but don't you have somme setting to dial the base clearance?

if you could get a higher pull ratio at the lever and dial in better clearance, it would most likely not rub anymore.

oh, and yes, overtightening too much could broke your QR (or even damage the hub/forks if you have hardcore QR like ti ones) and yes,, over tightening can "solve" the problem, but its not an elegant mechanical answer (you are somewhat creating a mechanical stress on all the forks to solve a slight alignment disc problem)

if you take the disc out of the wheel i'd bet its not perfectly straight, otherwise it would rub all the way under load. i would really start from the disc to try to solve this problem, i often true my discs by hand, this is how i do:
    (this is when you are very sure the problem doesn't come from caliper position (it can move slightly by the vibrations over time) nor bad wheel clamping position nor bad disc tightening)

1) put the bike upside down.

2) turn the taget wheel and start to pull very softly and progressively the brake lever till it start to rub unevently.

3) look at the disc and put some magic marker where you see it rub (most chances are it rubs only on one spot)

4) true the disc by hand, with soft pressure, on the magic marker zone, and make wheel turn again with soft braking to check if problem is solved
    go slowly and step by step until it makes even contact everywhere at the same lever pull point.

5) go out and check if the problem is solved while riding.

IF Problem not solved, (could now being rubbing evently on load :s) i would then re- align calipers by unscrewing caliper mount screws, pulling brake lever til it auto aligns, then screw down while maintaining the brake under load. it could give just the small clearance you need under load.

i have to say that i use mech disc brakes and am unfamiliar with the setting possibilities of avid juicy's, there might be a easyer way to solve this but this is how i would deal with it. oh, and check that putting upside down your bike and braking won't mess with bubbles speading in the brake fluid.