mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Brake Pads, Organic or Sintered, Manufacture or Other

Hey Guys, I am looking for some info on brake pads and I have not came across any related search patterns. Im a noob when it comes to the brake pads so here goes..... I have noticed avid makes pads, shimano makes pads and even alligator makes pads "which I just ordered alligator windutters" Now I have gathered organic and sintered is a preference but do the pads have to be avid if I have avid calibers or alligator since I have those rotors now or does in not really matter? Thanks for the help

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    There's no need to use Avid pads because you have Avid calipers or to use Alligator pads because you have Alligator rotors.

Probably not a good idea to use resin/organic pads with those rotors.
    Read the BEWARE ! on this page: www.ebcbrakes.com/mountain_bike_brakes/index.shtml

Bit of info on pad compounds: http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/hayes-u/brake-pads/
    The EBC link also has a bit of info on pad compounds too.

Last edited by cobba; 10-11-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Give it a crank
    Here's a good description of different pads with a great chart pointing out how to choose the right brakes pads.

About Compounds items in International Bike Disc Brake Pads store on eBay!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    awesome thanks guys, i heard organics were great with the windcutters so i will definitely check that link