mtbr member
    Sep 2008

New question here. Brake pads not gripping properly!! HELP!!

Ive recently upgraded my break pads after riding in some proper shity conditions messing my brakes arround. I upgraded coz the pads wernt griping at all. But with the new ones they grip and slow me down and close up tight to the disc with just a little squeeze. But it wont let me skid, or stop fast?
    Has anyone got any idea why?

bi-winning
    They need some time to bed in. Keep riding, do a few hard stops. Power will improve.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

I think we should go back
    Nov 2008
    Are you riding in wet conditions? Just today I biffed becuz I was ridin in realy thick snow and went to do the front brake because I was going to do a small endo when Riding in to the garage and I had almost no braking power and hit my bros bike.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by tony312
    Ive recently upgraded my break pads after riding in some proper shity conditions messing my brakes arround. I upgraded coz the pads wernt griping at all. But with the new ones they grip and slow me down and close up tight to the disc with just a little squeeze. But it wont let me skid, or stop fast?
    Has anyone got any idea why?
    In addition to needing to bed in, if you changed pad compound you may need to clean the old pad residue off of the rotors for best performance. 800 grit emery paper and lots of water works best.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common