mtbr member
    Jan 2007

brake pad separator spring

I'm relatively new to discs. I have Avid Juicy 3's. The pad separator springs seem to be the weak link in this system. I lost one while inspecting front pads that were rubbing. It cost me $20 for a new set of pads, just to get that spring. Then the rear spring disintegrated after an encounter with some loose sticks.

My LBS didn't have the pads I needed, so I drove to another shop and they were closed for the day.

Can I ride safely without the spring? I have a ride tomorrow and need to decide between my primary bike and a spare HT that doesn't fit me well and needs some work.

AllMountain+CwmcarnUplift
    Im no expert but i think the spring is needed to push apart the pads when you release the brake.
    If your not falling off, your not riding fast enough!

Cube Fritzz 2008

GT Aggressor XC 1

mtbr member
    if they aren't there, your pads can fall out and the next time you hit the brakes, the rotor will eat your pistons - that's gonna be more messy to fix

You can buy the springs separately (altho maybe not at your local shop, they're called h-springs), and you do need them.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks all. I'll try to Google up some H-springs!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The spring is just there to stop the pads from rattling. You can ride it and the pads cant fall out as they are held in by the metal spring on top of the caliper that the pad clips into.

When I had juicys the spring would always work its way free and end up a mangled mess so i just rode with out them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You can get them at discobrakes.com for about $3.50 each.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1977
    The spring is just there to stop the pads from rattling. You can ride it and the pads cant fall out as they are held in by the metal spring on top of the caliper that the pad clips into.

When I had juicys the spring would always work its way free and end up a mangled mess so i just rode with out them.
    Yeah, it seemed that way in my driveway and in the street. I just wasn't sure if that would be OK on the trail. It's good to know.

BTW, I found a 10 pack of springs for $11 + S&H. I'll carry a spare just in case.