Slow Goat....

Brake pad rubbing madness...

I've tried everything and my pads are still rubbing against the rotor. I finally broke down and brought it to a shop. When i got it back it was no different. I have Juicy 5's my rear is fine, just the front i can't get to stop rubbing. I swapped rotors to make sure it wasn't bent. I also tried many suggestions in my MBA magazine like putting two business cards between the rotors before adjusting them. These brakes are brand new. The rubbing makes a humming or a low whistling noise and it is driving me crazy. I thought maybe my post on my fork were not straight. I was able to swap these out too and still the results were the same. I also tried to change the shim order on the caliper. When i had Avid mechanicals i could just back out the pads until it did not rub. I can't do it with Juicy's. Anyone have this chronic problem? Maybe the springs on the pads are bent? What else could be done?
    Enjoy the lactic acid.....it's good for you

Meh.
    You should not have changed the order of the CPS stack.

Is there play in the hub? Is the axle fully inserted in the dropouts? Are you clamping the QR the same each time? Is it a constant rub or intermittent?

Slow Goat....
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    You should not have changed the order of the CPS stack.

Is there play in the hub? Is the axle fully inserted in the dropouts? Are you clamping the QR the same each time? Is it a constant rub or intermittent?

It's an internittent rub. It almost seems like the caliper is crooked when looking at the pads. I'll have to check the hub. I have checked the others and it seems correct. I did put the caliper shims back in order.

mtbr member
    Like WiLL said, i have to adjust the QR tension a couple times after i take the wheel off to get it just right so i get no rub. You might what to play with your tenson a litte and see if that helps.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    its all in the adjusting...

make sure the rotor is true....

Then losen the caliper bolts and with your hand and eye try to center it by holding it so u can see some light between each pad
    then squeeze and tighten
    are both pads retracting the same amoutn when u release?

If not you might need a new bleed

My hayes front would rub because air got in the brake system and the pads would be retract...
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

Hifi => Ex 9. Thank you warranty.

mtbr member
    did your lbs you brought it to say they fixed it? if so, probably good to find a new lbs!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    @PimpinD

Thanks for the info, i also have Hayes right now, and my front are rubbing, its driving me nuts! I'll have to check that out.

Thanks !

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You could have something simple wrong with them. A new bleed may solve the problem. When you have the wheel out can you push the pistons all the way in? If you can't you can undo the bleed plug on the master cylinder and push them out.

You could have too much fluid in the system and this will solve it. When the pistons are all the way back in, replace the bleed plug screw.

Good luck.

Slow Goat....

Rotor was checked and it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by PimpinD

Then losen the caliper bolts and with your hand and eye try to center it by holding it so u can see some light between each pad
    then squeeze and tighten

My hayes front would rub because air got in the brake system and the pads would be retract...
    I will try to eye when adjusting. I hadn't done this before. I'll try anything at this point.

Slow Goat....

I think some kid worked on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z
    did your lbs you brought it to say they fixed it? if so, probably good to find a new lbs!
    I asked for someone else since it didn't look like he knew what he was doing. More seasoned guys at the shop assured me that he will do a good job. He made it rub less, but not fixed. I usually wrench everything myself, but i got so frustrated I thought i'd bring it in.

mtbr member
    Two suggestions:
    1. face the bike's mounts
    2. install shims - because sometimes the mount contact area (especially when using adapters) is larger than the faced surface and causes the caliper/adapter to sit slightly crooked (just enough to cause an intermittent rub).

Slow Goat....

Hey thanks PimpinD!!!

Your suggestion worked. It seems so simple. I am glad i don't have to bleed the brakes.
    All the other manuals i read never mention this.

Quote Originally Posted by PimpinD

then squeeze and tighten

Meh.
    That's how you're supposed to center post mount calipers...

Go SOLAR...
    When you say "use your eye to center, then tighten" isnt this the same as putting 2 business cards in between the calipers before tightening? Seems you would get better results from the cards that are uniform, than trying to eyeball it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    no worries.

maybe ill make a post about setting up brakes proprerly on www.tripxamerica.com seems like a common theme with a much easier solution that most people think
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

Hifi => Ex 9. Thank you warranty.