Awww CRAP!
    Mar 2010

Brake pad issues

So I have a set of BB5's on my Rockhopper and the rear brake is driving me insane. The Front brake is great and works awesome, but there has always been a mushy feel to the rear until you get it pulled all the way in which takes a much longer pull than the front does, and there is also a bit of rubbing going on. So I'm thinking ok I just need to adjust them.
    I adjust in and out for a while and in order to get the rubbing to stop, I end up with way too much pull and mush and the lever. As I look closer the problem is that the pad is leaning in the caliper. The clip is not holding it straight up and down so the bottom edge of the pad (closer to the center of the rotor) is sticking out and rubbing while the top of the pad still has way too much clearence. I pulled the clip out and it seems to be putting good tension on the pads, and you can move the pad to flush with your finger but when you let it go it returns to the above position.
    Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a fix? I don't know if there are just clearence issues with that pad and I should buy some more or what. I gotta get this staightened out. I want it to work like the front does
    2010 Stumpjumper FSR Expert

Awww CRAP!
    Mar 2010
    it's the piston side pad if that matters, it just seems to have a lot of play
    2010 Stumpjumper FSR Expert

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Sounds like the spring has been bent in a bad way. Best solution - buy new set of pads and install supplied spring with older pads (if the pads are still ok). Once your existing pads wear then you already have a spare set waiting to go.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    If you still have the problem, take a look Avid BB5 pad centering issues