mtbr member
    Sep 2004

brake mount problem

I just bought a new fork (manitou skareb) only to find out that the brake mount is different from my old fork (marzocchi dirt jumper). Can anyone give me an info on where to get an adapter for this? Does it exist? By the way my brake set is an xtr 03. Thanks and all infos that I can get from you will definitely help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by odontek
    I just bought a new fork (manitou skareb) only to find out that the brake mount is different from my old fork (marzocchi dirt jumper). Can anyone give me an info on where to get an adapter for this? Does it exist? By the way my brake set is an xtr 03. Thanks and all infos that I can get from you will definitely help.
    The adaptor exists, but chances are you'll have to get a larger rotor to accomodate the adaptor.

Pricepoint has them at around $15 a piece.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/112...ke-Adapter.htm

"El Whatever"

Larger rotor

Yes, you will need one besides the adapter.

It can be a mess if your rotors are centerlocks. If they are 6 bolt rotors, no prob.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

rotor bolt

Hi , i'm not familiar with these part but would you know what an XTR hubs have and the rotor it has. By the way thanks for the info.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by odontek
    Hi , i'm not familiar with these part but would you know what an XTR hubs have and the rotor it has. By the way thanks for the info.
    Depends.

If you see six bolts attaching the rotor to the hub, then you have a six-bolt International Standard mount ROTOR (the caliper is another ticket).

If your hubs have a splined section where the rotor is attached. Then your rotor is a centerlock (called that way by Shitmano due the rotor is locked on the hub by the means of a lockring - pretty much like the cogset on the freewheel)

You can get six bolt rotors in several diameters (160, 165, 180, 185, 200, 203mm)
    As far as I remember centerlocks are only 160 and 203mm. The manufacturer of the adapter must let you know which diameter rotor you need.

Visit www.discbrakeadapters.com
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

rotor size

thanks a lot this will help a lot.

R.I.P. DogFriend

Very Important With Post Mount Calipers

Don't forget to get the longest bolts you can fit for the post mount adaptors (mounts the adaptor to the fork) and torque them no tighter than 85 inch pounds. Otherwise you may be asking for trouble, as in stripped threads in the lower fork leg.

As long as you have time, you might call Manitou directly and ask them for a bolt kit. It's far cheaper than a magnesium lower fork leg.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks a lot for the info, that would surely save me a lot