mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Brake Mount Facing Tool

Have just mounted Hope Mono 4's to my bike. I know it is recommended that you face the mounting tabs, however the local shops don't have the required tools. The alignment seems pretty good, and they are seating in STRONG, no noises, etc. The only rotor rub is on the rear, and it is cause by slight "runout" of the rotor.
    Question "Should I run the brakes as they are? Is there any potential harm?
    If it is recommended that I face the tabs, How much is the facing tool (on the hope website), and where can it be purchased?

Dude!
    Great question and unfortunately, one that I have no answers to. I am interested in other people's experiences with this tool as I have Hope Mono Minis and have seen this tool.

rack admirer

I'll take this one.

I went thru this last year. First, mount your calipers and ride while you are figuring this out. Most likely you won't need it. Call your hayes rep. He (presumptive) will know who has the Hope tool in your area. I did this with Magura. The magura tool is a Gnat-o-matic and the reps were on tour in my area instructing shops in its use. You could probably use magura to face a tab for hayes. I was told that except for the paint, that the rear tabs are less likely to need facing. Your forks are cast and the tabs may not be in perfect parallel to your axle path. I missed the demo tour, but took it to a shop that just had the visit. It cost $10 to cut my fork tabs to be parallel. You can rent the tool from Hammerhead for about $35. To buy varies on what you get. Think $100.

More than you asked for: I bot the fork, magura louise, and Loco frame in 01. Used XT disc hubs. Never had a problem. Bot King hubs in 04 and had alignment trouble. Go figure. There are alot of posts on this if you search.
    MCM # 57

There's no app for this.

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo
    The Magura tool is a Gnat-o-matic and
    It's actually a Gnann o mat

Call around to shops and ask if they have the Hope or Magura tool, most if not all frames need facing, and also the forks. for the $10-15 it's worth it, but you wont die without the work done.

Good luck, Jim MCM #11

❷WO-❾INE
    You could try HopeTech's Toll Free #: (+1) 800-303-6863 and ask if anyone in your area has the 'Spot' tool.
    It's worth buying if you think it'll be used a lot and if you ride with a few friends you could split it's cost between you.

Last edited by stodge; 04-14-2005 at 03:30 PM.