mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Brake mount/adapter question

I have a 2007 Fox TALAS 32 XLC front shock and i currently am running some old Hayes brakes. I am upgrading my brake to Shimano XT BR-M775 with an XT 180mm rotor in the front.

Two questions.

1. Will i need an adapter to fit the XT rotor on the 07 Talas? ( the XT is ISPM)
    2. Will i need an adapter to run a bigger rotor (180 or 200mm)?

Thanks,

-Adam

mtbr member
    1. You mount the caliper to the fork, the rotor is mounted on the hub. If your rotor is 6 bolt, should be no problem. By ISPM, I assume you mean 74mm PM caliper, which should be the same as the Hayes so you can use the same setup - whether it be with or w/o adaptors (160mm rotor).

2. If you can run a 160mm now, you will need adaptor unless your fork was IS and you have IS rear caliper to run 180mm rotor. 203mm rotor will req adaptor for sure.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    ISPM = International Standard Post Mount? International Standard is one standard and Post Mount is a different standard. Are the brakes PM with an IS adapter on it?

I believe that the Talas is PM. If you look at the fork there should be two posts that the brake caliper mounts to that are almost 3" apart (74mm). IS has a pair of slots or holes that are spaced 2" (51mm) apart. You can get adapters so that you can mount PM brakes to IS mounts but you would have a hard time getting the opposite.

To answer your questions:
    Your first question is confusing because it sounds like you are trying to mount the brake rotor itself to the fork. Are you asking about how to mount the caliper to the fork or how to mount the rotor to the hub?

If you bolt the caliper directly to the PM on the fork a 160mm rotor should mount right up with out any clearance issues. If you want to run a 180/185/203mm rotor then you need to space the caliper out accordingly. There are adapters available for this.