mtbr member

Brake lines for Formula RX, stock or ?

I bought some RX's but the rear line is about 2 inches too short. I called my LBS and they can get a new line kit with fittings from Formula for about $65. They also mentioned the Jagwire kit, pick a color, enough line for both brakes, and a fitting kit for about $50. I think they would charge about $20-25 to do all of this for me.

Any preferred line since I'm replacing it anyway? Jagwire an upgrade in any way over the stock line?

Is it difficult to do this myself or should I just pay the shop, I've never done it before and don't have the special line cutter or the bleed kit.

Any other lines I should get instead of the jagwire or stock thats better in any way?
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    For that price the SS lines would be much better.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    SS lines being the goodridge brand or something else?
    I have an Avid bleed kit, came with my SID last week, and from searching online many people successfully use it to bleed current Formula brakes, should I just buy the line kit myself and learn?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    I have an Avid bleed kit, came with my SID last week, and from searching online many people successfully use it to bleed current Formula brakes, should I just buy the line kit myself and learn?
    Yeah the Goodridge SS line is good. I'm not familiar with bleeding Formula brakes since I run Hope Tech, but if the kit isn't very expensive, then it would be convenient to have it when you need it than to rely on your lbs.

Felco C7 cable cutters are great for cables/housings.
    FELCO C7 WIRE ROPE CUTTER | eBay
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    I just installed Goodridge SS lines on a new build with R1 brakes. I also have a set of R1 brakes with the stock Formula lines on another bike.

The Goodridge lines are more flexible than the Formula ones. There's a slight, but noticeably firmer feel at the lever too. For fittings, you'll need the Goodridge connector kit #109. The fittings are pricey, but keep in mind that they're reusable unlike the stock barbs.

Not to mention the bling factor with all the available colors for hoses and fittings.
    Loud hubs save lives. http://about.me/splat/

banned
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    Yep Barbara568, I was going to do that before having an epiphany this morning and running the line similar to how it would be run on a hardtail. I used the front der line keepers (I'm running 1x10 so they are vacant) and there is a line holder on the top of the rear triangle for running the line along the seat stay, doing that and the brake line is perfect.