No longer 26

New question here. Brake Levers for Avid Mechs and Sram Twist Shifters?

Have been using Avid Levers for my Avid Mechs and they work great. However, I am an badfinger braker and find I have to shift my hands a bit uncomfortably to use the levers. Are there any longer levered levers out there that are reasonable weight for use on a XC bike? Do SRAM 9.0's work well with Avid Mechs?
    Thanks
    Greg

mtbr member

avid

i use sram xo shifters, avid mech brakes and avid speed dial 7 levers. the xo have a shorter shifter surface, so the levers work great. i also use yeti harcore 3/4 lock on grips. this is the best set up i have found to date

hope this helps
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

check yer PMs...

mtbr member
    Both my girlfriend and I have SRAM x9 twisties w/ Avid SD7 on our trail bikes. Work fine!

Nat
    Solo contendre

Paul 2.5's

Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    Have been using Avid Levers for my Avid Mechs and they work great. However, I am an badfinger braker and find I have to shift my hands a bit uncomfortably to use the levers. Are there any longer levered levers out there that are reasonable weight for use on a XC bike? Do SRAM 9.0's work well with Avid Mechs?
    Thanks
    Greg
    Here's what you're looking for (on sale too):

http://www.webcyclery.com/product.ph...cat=276&page=1

http://www.paulcomp.com/

formerly Giantxc
    I was in the same boat up until about a year ago. What you want to look for is the Avid SD 2.0L. With this lever avid offset the pivot 5-10mm so the tip of the paddle is a little further out. The only catch is they don't make them any more. I bought a set either off of MTBR or Ebay. I've also heard that the original Avid Ultimate lever for v-brakes was wider but have not confirmed.

Also I'd avoid the SRAM 9.0 levers like the plague. They're plenty long for use with gripshifts, but the paddles flex like a wet noodle. I bought my first set of avid levers because of the fear those levers instilled in me during a long, steep downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    Thanks
    Greg