mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Brake Lever Travel Adjustment

Hi I am new just started MTB a month ago, I think my bike comes with a full Shimano Hydraulic Disc kit (Shimano BR-M395 F & B 160mm Center lock rotors & ring, Shimano BR-M395 levers) , I just like the know how to I adjust the lever travel? i.e. how far to press b4 the brake engages. Now I have to press quite far back before the brake engages, its touching my knuckles, I like to brake single finger .

Any reply would be helpful Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I don't know much about the M395 and could not find any adjustment guide on the Shimano site so I don't think they have the lever adjustment. If it does it would be a small screw where the lever pivot is. You may need a bleed. You can also adjust you levers in on your bars so with one finger braking your finger is at the end of the lever and your knuckles won't be in the way.

mtbr member
    I had the same brakes. They were Ok while I was new to the sport, but as I progressed I soon started to push up against their limitations. They are Shimano's entry level brake, are not very powerful, and the bite point is not adjustable, you can only change the reach of the lever which is a different thing. If you want one-finger braking and free stroke adjustment you'll need to think about upgrading to XT level brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthMTB View Post
    I had the same brakes. They were Ok while I was new to the sport, but as I progressed I soon started to push up against their limitations. They are Shimano's entry level brake, are not very powerful, and the bite point is not adjustable, you can only change the reach of the lever which is a different thing. If you want one-finger braking and free stroke adjustment you'll need to think about upgrading to XT level brakes.
    How do I change the reach then? I am new so I dun think theres a need for XTs yet lol. But I recall a few pals have the simlar brakes as I have, when I tested their brakes, bite point of their levers is much lower than mine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    HCR
    I looked at those and did not see a reach adjuster screw for the M395. It may just not be listed but does not show up on the techdocs. The last doc is for the 810 not the M395

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Its the rod from the piston that attaches to the lever pivot. Look at the pivot and you'll see a hex screw.
    Kind of like this:

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    looking at the Shimano literature for your lever it does not appear to have the adjustment screw for reach adjustment.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Its the rod from the piston that attaches to the lever pivot. Look at the pivot and you'll see a hex screw.
    Kind of like this:
    Thanks for the pic, this adjusts the reach or the free stroke?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Reach. Free stroke is not available on your lever.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Reach. Free stroke is not available on your lever.
    Is there anyway I can make the pads closer to the rotors so the Free Stroke can be adjusted?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You can try over filling it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You can try over filling it.
    I am kinda noob, could you explain over filling?

EDIT: You meant adding more fluid right? hahas. Thought of that too
    Last edited by HCR32GTSTYPEM; 12-04-2012 at 06:03 PM.